The new iPhone 15
coolrhyme's profile

Guru

• 

507 Messages

Tuesday, February 21st, 2012 4:40 PM

Speaker Question

i have a 4s and correct me if im wrong the right speaker for the iphone is for stereo the one on the left is for mic?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Professor

• 

2.1K Messages

12 years ago

The mic is on the left, speaker is on the right.

Master

• 

7.1K Messages

12 years ago

I do not recall which one is which but one is the speaker (mono) and the other is the mic.

Guru

• 

507 Messages

12 years ago

Thanks for the info just clarifying 🙂

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

12 years ago

Wait a second... So both speakers on the bottom of the phone are not two speakers producing the same sound? One is a speaker and the other is a microphone?

ACE - Master

• 

10.2K Messages

12 years ago

@Wild Banchi wrote:
Wait a second... So both speakers on the bottom of the phone are not two speakers producing the same sound? One is a speaker and the other is a microphone?

That's correct.  There is only 1 speaker and the other is an identical looking microphone.  It's been that way ever since the first iPhone.

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

12 years ago

No wonder why it's so quiet... I thought I might have had a blown speaker.

Professor

• 

3.4K Messages

12 years ago

i was thinking it had two speakers ohwell.....

Scholar

• 

121 Messages

12 years ago

You guys were just joking around, right...or were you really serious in believing that those were actually two speakers on the bottom of the iPhone?  Guess this goes to show that there are still people out there who apparently can't be bothered with reading the manual (print or electronic)...and I thought it was a good thing for Apple to choose not to include a printed owner's manual with every iPhone--oh well.

Here you go (page 9 in the PDF):

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/iphone_user_guide.pdf

Note that the picture depicts an iPhone 4/4S--in previous-gen iPhones the speaker and microphone locations are reversed but in any case the pictures clearly indicate that there is but one speaker on the bottom of the iPhone.

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

12 years ago

Yes, indeed I was serious into believing that there were two speakers located on the bottom of my 3GS. They sure as heck look alike, and it only makes sense that Apple would include an extra speaker on the iPhone as opposed to only one on an iPod touch. I don't see a problem with believing there were two speakers; I'm sure that there are still people that believe there are two speakers as opposed to one.

Scholar

• 

121 Messages

12 years ago

@Wild Banchi wrote:
Yes, indeed I was serious into believing that there were two speakers located on the bottom of my 3GS. They sure as heck look alike, and it only makes sense that Apple would include an extra speaker on the iPhone as opposed to only one on an iPod touch. I don't see a problem with believing there were two speakers; I'm sure that there are still people that believe there are two speakers as opposed to one.

Hey, I can see how some folks may look at the bottom and mistakenly assume that they are two speakers...but when they think about it--if those two small openings were/are speakers, then where the heck did they think the microphone was located?  Did they think that the Home button or perhaps one of the "two" speakers actually doubled as a microphone?  But in any case, my other question still stands--what's their excuse for not reading the manual?

Why would it make sense for Apple to include two speakers on the iPhone but only one on the iPod Touch?  I can't think of any reason for Apple to do so that would not also then imply that Apple's current hardware setup may be inadequate and/or inefficient...and we all know how much the iPhone fanboys will defend any negative criticism about the iPhone if that were the case.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.