Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Spam text

Contributor

Spam text

I received a text from 746-118-88. The msg is below. 

AT&T Free Message: Your temporary PIN is (I erased the PIN)

This is spam right? How do I stop receiving these texts?

Message 1 of 12
Tutor

Re: Spam text

I just got this too. I deleted the message since I have no idea what this is for. 

Message 2 of 12
Contributor

I received this message on both my phone and my wife’s. Usually pins like this are issued when a password is forgotten. Someone is probably trying to access my account. I’ll be changing my password as a precaution.

Message 3 of 12
Solution
Accepted by Moderator (Moderator)
Accepted by ATTCommunityTeam
‎11-27-2018 9:09 AM

@StarrStarr and others who might be experiencing this issue,

We want to help you guard against fraud and keep your accounts and devices safe and secure.

If you did not request a temporary PIN, please do not click on anything in that text message and/or do not use that PIN. This is a tactic spammers have used, in the past, to acquire account information. Instead, please change your account password - either through MyATT or by contacting Wireless Customer Service.

Remember, AT&T will never ask you to send us your personal or account information via email or text message. You can forward suspicious emails to AT&T Internet Security at abuse@att.net and suspicious texts to 7726 (SPAM). For additional support, you can refer to our Fraud & Security Resources site.

Thanks!
The AT&T Community Team

Message 4 of 12
Contributor

Thank you for the info. Very informative with links to follow.

Message 5 of 12
Contributor

I receive a call of man and he said from representative of ATT because I have credit problems. Don’t identify and don’t answers any credentials. I explain don’t offer any information and finally call.

Message 6 of 12
Highlighted
Professor

I got the text too about a temporary PIN.  Either someone is trying to hack into a bunch of people’s accounts simultaneously, or it’s a glitch on the AT&T side.  Given that a number of people have reported the same thing around the same time, it seems more likely that the texts were sent in error rather than one person just trying to access accounts individually.  AT&T needs to check it from their end to see if there was a system glitch instead of just defaulting out and saying everyone needs to change their passwords.

Message 7 of 12
Contributor

I received two on my hotspot $.20 each from Rump healthcare. Please remove these fees. I’ve already put a block on the number 

Message 8 of 12
Contributor

UYYF

Message 9 of 12
Contributor

@dwill005 - That makes sense to me. My wife and I each received identical texts yesterday, several hours apart, although with different temporary PINs. I assumed based on some other forum posts that this was spam, but it turns out the number 74611888 really is used by AT&T to send temporary PINs; this morning I downloaded the AT&T Call Protect iOS app and when I set it up, I had to enter a temporary PIN that was sent by text from that number. All of which begs the question of why my wife & I received those messages yesterday, and why other people are receiving them without doing anything to trigger generating a temporary PIN. It doesn’t make any sense as a phishing attempt - there isn’t any link included in the text, nothing to click on that would take the recipient to a phishing site. 

Message 10 of 12
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support