The new iPhone 15
dhughes710's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Tuesday, April 16th, 2013 1:57 PM

Sold Phone on eBay, buyer wants my SS#

I sold my wife's used Iphone 5 on eBay because she wanted to get the GS3. The iPhone sold in Feb of 2012, the buyer paid on time, I shipped it out on time, and everything was good. Now two months later the buyer emails me and says the following:

"Hello from Russia! I finally got my hands on the Iphone 5 (thanks to mail forwading services) to find out I cannot use it here without your help, my fault, i know. I want to request a device unlock at AT&T website, could you please give me your first name, last name, e-mail adress and last 4 of your SSN? Your help will be much, much appreciated!
Thank you!"

I am not sure what to do. When I sold the phone the address for the buyer was in PA, but they are really in Russia??? I am not giving them the information they are asking for.  I did see there is a website on AT&T's page that you can request an unlock for phones.  Could I use that to help this person?  The iphone is no longer on my account though so I am not sure why it even matters.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@Fitzdano wrote:
I have always refused to give my ssn and never have not even to AT&T. They still gave me an account.

Are you on pay as you go? For a 2 year contract phone they need to run a credit check on you, to do that they need a TID number

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.