Helpful Links

Sold Phone on eBay, buyer wants my SS#

Contributor

Sold Phone on eBay, buyer wants my SS#

I sold my wife's used Iphone 5 on eBay because she wanted to get the GS3. The iPhone sold in Feb of 2012, the buyer paid on time, I shipped it out on time, and everything was good. Now two months later the buyer emails me and says the following:

"Hello from Russia! I finally got my hands on the Iphone 5 (thanks to mail forwading services) to find out I cannot use it here without your help, my fault, i know. I want to request a device unlock at AT&T website, could you please give me your first name, last name, e-mail adress and last 4 of your SSN? Your help will be much, much appreciated!
Thank you!"

I am not sure what to do. When I sold the phone the address for the buyer was in PA, but they are really in Russia??? I am not giving them the information they are asking for.  I did see there is a website on AT&T's page that you can request an unlock for phones.  Could I use that to help this person?  The iphone is no longer on my account though so I am not sure why it even matters.

Message 1 of 12
Highlighted
Contributor

Re: Sold Phone on eBay, buyer wants my SS#

I have always refused to give my ssn and never have not even to AT&T. They still gave me an account.
Message 11 of 12
Expert

Re: Sold Phone on eBay, buyer wants my SS#

Fitzdano wrote:
I have always refused to give my ssn and never have not even to AT&T. They still gave me an account.

Are you on pay as you go? For a 2 year contract phone they need to run a credit check on you, to do that they need a TID number

Message 12 of 12
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Find the Unlimited Plan that works best for you at our Knowledge Sharing Session: Whole Lotta' Data Going On on Wed. 6/28 from 1-4pm ET / noon-3pm CT / 10am-1pm PT!

Find out the very latest about the new iPad Pros!

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support