The new iPhone 15
nickk513's profile

Mentor

• 

40 Messages

Sunday, October 9th, 2011 6:02 PM

So I had a question about the iPhone 4s CDMA/GSM capabilities.

I was watching the iPhone 4s video about its capabilities and the senior vp of marketing said that every iPhone 4s has CDMA AND GSM capabilities in its phone... So does this mean if I have my iPhone 4s from ATT and for some reason drop the GSM ATT network, and I go to a CDMA network like verizon I will be able to have it unlocked and use it on verizon? If i am understood correctly what i heard is that it has both capabilities.? Is this true

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Scholar

• 

331 Messages

13 years ago

@nickk513 wrote:

I was watching the iPhone 4s video about its capabilities and the senior vp of marketing said that every iPhone 4s has CDMA AND GSM capabilities in its phone... So does this mean if I have my iPhone 4s from ATT and for some reason drop the GSM ATT network, and I go to a CDMA network like verizon I will be able to have it unlocked and use it on verizon? If i am understood correctly what i heard is that it has both capabilities.? Is this true

No. From what we have been able to find, once the phone is activated on a standard, it is locked to that standard. A GSM phone isn't going to roam over to CDMA and vice versa.

It remains to be seen what the verdict is on the unlocked iPhones that Apple intends to begin selling in November, but AFAWK, the carrier phones will remain locked. Neither AT&T nor Verizon allows the unlocking of phones, even after their contracts have been fulfilled.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Scholar

• 

331 Messages

13 years ago

@nickk513 wrote:
but let's say IN THEORY, is it possible if it was unlocked?

It is possible, in theory, IF the phone was produced with antennas that work on both standards, IF radios for both standards were installed, IF the CDMA phones all come with SIMs installed and IF the modem chip was wired into both radios. The odds of all that happening are zero, IMO.

They've made a big deal out of the phones having the same modem chip, but there is a tad more to it than just that chip.

Mentor

• 

40 Messages

13 years ago

but let's say IN THEORY, is it possible if it was unlocked?

Mentor

• 

40 Messages

13 years ago

okay i got you now haha, so very unlikely i take it

Scholar

• 

331 Messages

13 years ago

@nickk513 wrote:
okay i got you now haha, so very unlikely i take it

Put it this way - the current Verizon iPhone 4 has a dual mode Qualcomm MDM 6600 modem. It can do both GSM and CDMA. Can you use that phone on AT&T's network? Smiley Very Happy

Mentor

• 

40 Messages

13 years ago

Yes you can! i have used a verizon blackberry that was unlocked. it works on a gsm network like ATT, but with limited features, such as no 3g, etc. ALSO the verizon gsm sim card will work in an unlocked iphone with limited features. I actually still have my verizon blackberry that is unlocked, worked like a charm!!

Scholar

• 

331 Messages

13 years ago

iPhones won't do it. Smiley Wink

Mentor

• 

40 Messages

13 years ago

well dang, i wasnt sure. but i saw a lot of iphone's modems being flashed (verizon iphone 4's) over to cricket. Is this still going to be the case for the 4s you think?

Mentor

• 

52 Messages

13 years ago

Apple has left it up to the carriers to set their own agreements -- the phone was mainly designed to let CDMA users use GSM while going overseas (not using GSM in the US), but it'll depend on what agreements VZ/Sprint setup with international GSM carriers (dont expect it to be fully unlocked). Vodafone owns 45% of Verizon so expect GSM agreements with them in the future

Apple doesnt really care about letting GSM users use CDMA or else they wouldn't have made the unlocked 4s GSM only. GSM is more popular worldwide so you'll find GSM networks in pretty much every country, but CDMA isnt available everywhere

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.