The new iPhone 15
redwave59's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Wednesday, November 30th, 2016 4:23 PM

Sim card

Can I put a 3G SIM card into a 4sphone? I got it for my grandson who only uses it to get online,no texting or calling.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

7 years ago

For his purposes, the old SIM card will work fine.

He does need a SIM card, even if just an inactive one, to set up an iPhone with his iTunes content and use as an iPod.  

Any old phone can be used on wifi as just a media device, but Apple is the only one that can't be set up without a SIM card installed.  

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

7 years ago

You mean an iPhone 4s?  It's a 3G phone, but if you mean a SIM card from a basic phone into a smartphone, no it won't work as a phone.  

If he is going to use it as an iPod, not get active service, he only needs a SIM card to activate on his iTunes account and it won't matter if it's even a working SIM card.  

If he does intend to get service, he requires a valid SIM card with a data plan.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

He wants to get on line only by wifi not data and no calling or text.Can he use the SIM card from his old 3G phone in the new 4s phone? If yes, can we do it , or do we have to take it somewhere ?

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

7 years ago

@redwave59 wrote:
He wants to get on line only by wifi not data and no calling or text.Can he use the SIM card from his old 3G phone in the new 4s phone? If yes, can we do it , or do we have to take it somewhere ?

You don't need a SIM card at all to connect to wifi. A SIM card is only for cellular services, texting and calling. If it fits, yes you can put the old 3G phone sim into the iPhone. If the sim is active, the phone will then be able to call and text and use cellular data. 

Now, if you are just trying to get rid of the message telling you there is no sim in the phone, yes an old deactivated sim card is perfect.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.