For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The new iPhone 15
Jcguy2020's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Tuesday, April 25th, 2017 9:41 PM

Requested to unlock iPhone 6s, status shows the request was approved, but no email received

Hi, I brought my old iphone6s to Taiwan, wanting to use it under the Twaiwan carrier.  I requested to unlock it and the ATT online status shows the request is approved.  However I have not received an email telling me the unlock request is approved and processed.  How long does it take to receive the final email?  I am currently visiting family on Taiwan, but I really want to resolve this "unlock" issue soon so my family can use it on Taiwan before I return to US.  

If if someone can shed light on my questions that will be greatly appreciated.

Chi 

Teacher

• 

25 Messages

7 years ago

If the status says Approved, you should be able to unlock your device. I have heard of lots of instances of people not getting approval emails but the phone was unlocked.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

Rmehta8810, thank you very much for your help!  I resubmitted my request to unlock the old iphone6, waiting to see the status of approved again.  (The status is in process now.). 

I was told by ATT customer support that once it's approved, I should go through the backup/reset/restore procedure quickly before the approval is expired!  Because their web page says you wait for the email, etc., I think that is why I might have waited too long and the approval expired.  Thus my failure to unlock the phone.

Will find out.  Thank you again.

Chi

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

7 years ago

If your request was already approved, your waiting for nothing.  

The process is

You fill out application online.

Within 24 hours you get an email, usually in minutes.

You must respond to the email, follow the link to verify your email. 

Within 48 hours you should get a reply. 

If it says approved, then you are unlocked and you can back up, erase, restore.

All of this would be in the email.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

7 years ago

There was no need to submit another request. Once your unlock is approved, it does not expire. However, once approved, it does take time for Apple to update their servers to show the phone is unlocked. That is why you are normally told to wait 24 hours before completing the unlock process.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

Lizdance40 & sandblaster, thank you so much for your help.  

My second unlock request now shows the status as approved (like the first approval).  I followed the procedure (like I did previously), removed the att SIM card and inserted the local Taiwan SIM card, this time I completed the setup successfully.  My iphone6 is now working on Taiwan.  Not sure what went wrong with the unlock procedure the first time.  Maybe it took time for att to update their servers.  

After inserting the new SIM card, it did say "activation required", blah, blah, I was asked to enter my Apple ID and password, then it proceeded to finish the setup with the new SIM card.  

Thank you again, Chi

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.