Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Releasing Phone Number

Contributor

Releasing Phone Number

So i currently have a line with my moms phone plan and I want to get a phone with that number at another company. I would be returning the phone to my mother and only need the number, she doesn't want to lose the line and would continue to use the phone. Would there be a charge? The phone is on att next and she hasn't paid it off. But I just want to be able to keep my phone number and my mom still wants to have both her lines open. How would I do this and how much would it cost us? 

Message 1 of 7
ACE - Sage
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by RosieR403
‎11-27-2017 4:28 AM

Re: Releasing Phone Number

Not possible.  Your number and the line are the same thing.   If you move your number/line to another company, mom gets billed the entire balance left on your Next installment.   She can add a new line to use the phone, but the installments must be paid off.  

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 7
Highlighted
Contributor

Can you tell me what number replaced my *** line because I am confused

[Edited for privacy-This is a public forum. Please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, employee ID numbers, email addresses, phone numbers, account numbers, etc.]

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you read her entire reply you will see you are talking to customers here. 

Message 4 of 7
Contributor

What release to another account with att?

Message 5 of 7
Contributor

My ex is in charge of this account so i want to get my own account but i want my number and my phone and my upgrade fees. I know she can release the number online i just need to know how she can.?

Message 6 of 7
ACE - Expert

@Winfield24 Your ex needs to initiate a transfer of billing responsibility of your line to you. When you accept, you will set up your own account and plan. More info here: https://www.att.com/tobr/

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 7 of 7
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Do you need to fix, replace or track a device? We Can Help With That!

Additional Support