The new iPhone 15
Jenholliday's profile

Tutor

• 

1 Message

Friday, April 15th, 2016 12:02 AM

Receiving calls/text from strangers saying I called them, but I didn't

I have now had two different people call or text me saying I called them when I didn't. The first time I just thought maybe the lady on the other end called the wrong number. Today I had a gentleman text me asking who it was. I only gave a shortened version of my first name in case it was a phishing trail. He text back saying he owned a tree cutting service and he had a missed call from me with no message. I told him I didn't call and would be contacting my carrier about it since it wasn't the first time. He was very polite and understanding, so I didn't the feeling it was phishing or a scam, he honsestly had a missed call and thought it was a possible customer. So how can someone be using my number to show up on other people's phone? Is there anything I can do or should do?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Community Support

• 

15.2K Messages

8 years ago

Hi @Jenholliday

Unfortunately, there is a common scamming practice known as number spoofing where one’s phone number can be used to call other people and attempt to get personal and private information. This is illegal and almost impossible to stop. As this practice allows scammers to personally choose the number that will be shown on the recipient’s caller ID. Your account or usage is in no way affected by number spoofing.

Our recommendation:

Download AT&T Active Armor In addition to blocking numbers from known fraudsters, AT&T Active Armor also provides suspected spam warnings and lets you manually block and report individual callers. 

The Federal Trade Commission has more information about Caller ID spoofing scams on its website: https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/.

We do have the option to change your phone number which may act as a deterrent but is not a guaranteed solution. You can learn more about number spoofing and what to do about it on our Cyber Aware blog.

Thank you for contacting AT&T!

Rachel A, AT&T Social Media Manager

(edited)

• 

1 Message

I want to call back the strangers and inform them someone may be trying to scam them, especially since they have been elderly people calling me. But what could I say to them or advise them to do to stay protected?

Accepted Solution

ACE - Professor

• 

3K Messages

5 years ago

@TgFloorman Telemarketers/Scamers are using a computer program to spoof you phone number. The program can dial hundreds of numbers per minute hoping someone will pickup and fall for their scheme. They are now using neighborhood spoofing, using area code and prefix from an your area to disguise the number and hope the recipient thinks it is a local number. Read the solution at the beginning of this thread. 

ATT has an app ATT Call Protect that helps somewhat to identify these types of calls. 

Tutor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

This is happening to me at the moment. It is so frustrating. I get several calls a day from people saying I have called them but I didn't. I been at work all day.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

Its been happening to me lately as well. I'm getting very frustrated with it

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

I am also noticing that the numbers that are calling me back have the same first three digits of their phone number and same area code. Also some of the numbers that call me from those same area code and first three digits are soliciting that I had won something.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

Nothing to add except that this is happened to me too, had a few people call me back saying I called them. Their numbers were very similar to mine, same area code and first 3 digits.

Unfortunately, judging by the official solution, it basically says its impossible to stop... 

I really don't want to go through the hassle of changing my phone number, especially if its not even a guaranteed solution. 

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

Dont waste your time and effort changing your number.  This happened to my husband's number a year ago.  After a couple days, it stopped.  I just got a call from someone I didn't call.  Hopefully it stops with one.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

This has been happening to me over the past year now. Finally called AT&T because it started happening with my text messages. I would be in the middle of a conversation with someone, texting, they would not receive my response but I would receive a response from some random number! When I contacted AT&T they acted like they had never heard  of such a thing. Went through all of my settings and what not and it stopped for a short while. Very aggravating, especially when the random person wants to argue with you about whether or not you called or texted them 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

This is happening to me today!  Got out of the shower to three missed calls, a hangup voicemail, and a text asking why I'm not answering.  I asked who it was and they said that I called them. They called again and left a garbled voicemail  I tried to text that I didn't call them but I realized that it didn't go through for some reason. Now six hours later they've apparently tried to look me up and have gotten pretty close.  This feels like a huge security risk!  Over the last few months I have also gotten a bunch of calls from numbers with the same area code and first three numbers.  The three that I answered were automated from some scam company saying I'd won something, I guess it's my number's turn...

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

7 years ago

This exact same thing is happening to me. I've had 3 people (with numbers similar to mine) call me stating that I've called them, even though I haven't. It's so annoying and very scary. What's causing this?! I feel like my security is being violated.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.