For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The new iPhone 15
maddiecn's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Sunday, March 19th, 2017 6:48 PM

Putting AT&T Simcard in Verizon Phone

Good afternoon! My phone recently crashed for unknown reasons and due to financial issues I am looking at buying a phone from a third party. The phone that I am looking at was previously activated with Verizon. According to my research, it may still work with an AT&T simcard. Is this possible, or do I need to buy either an unlocked or AT&T phone in order to activate it with AT&T service? It is an iPhone 6. Thanks!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Employee

• 

420 Messages

2 years ago

Hello Community!

It is important to know whether you will be able to use the phone you know and love on our network, especially now, since we phased out our 3G network.

Not to worry. It's easy to find out if your device will work now that we've upgraded our network. To know where to begin, check out our compatible device list. If your phone is on the list, you're good to go.

If it’s not listed, you may need to update your current device, or get a replacement.  Or, if you have a phone that should work, but isn't, you can also check your APN settings to confirm they are correct.

Heads Up: Customers using an unsupported device will need to upgrade to an HD Voice capable device, upgrade their SIM, or both. Even if you have a compatible SIM card, you will need to make sure the device you’re moving your SIM card to will work on our network.

Because 3G is now gone, we no longer activate phones that don’t support HD Voice. With AT&T HD Voice, you enjoy a higher level of voice quality when you make and receive calls.

As explained under SIM card compatibility:
AT&T HD Voice requires a SIM card that is UICC-G or higher SIM card installed in your smartphone to enjoy the rich calling experience of AT&T HD Voice. Want to make sure to find out if your SIM card is HD Voice compatible?

In the SIM card number, look for the digits 27 or higher in the 9th and 10th positions. Don't have a compatible SIM card? Get one at an AT&T Store.

AT&T BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) means you bring your own unlocked, compatible device to AT&T. Even if you didn't buy your device from AT&T, you can activate your phone on a new AT&T plan.

Switching is simple! Just make sure the device is unlocked then then choose a new plan or add a line to an existing wireless plan. BYOD comes with some amazing benefits. You don’t have a contract, and you can keep your current number if it’s eligible for transferGrab your favorite phone, wearable or tablet and make the switch.

We hope this info helps!

(edited)

Accepted Solution

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

6 years ago

@KcLinux wrote:
It all depends the exact model and specs some dumb reason all phones are
made somewhat different . I assume to make more money lbs . But either way
it will work with the correct APN and cellular (mobile data) setting.
iPhones do not require APN settings
No unlock requires.
Not true.  A lock phone will not work on another carrier and no APN settings will fix that.
Some phones may only give you a "E" up top representing. 
E is edge,  2G on ATT and you won’t see it on ATT anymore. 
your data tho which stand for edge basically 2g ..
ATT has no 2G network 
.. If have Wi-Fiavailable
as well and it's a nice phone might be worth it to you tho. I recommend to
try before buy .

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

7 years ago

A Verizon iPhone 6 is unlocked and will work fine on ATT.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

All Verizon iPhones are automatically unlocked? So I don't have to make sure the seller goes through a process to unlock it?

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

7 years ago

All Verizon phones in the last few years are unlocked. I'm not sure of the exact date, though, but for iPhones since the 5s.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

That's kinda my question too. I upgraded from an iPhone 6 to galaxy s8+ and someone wants to buy my phone, I have Verizon. They have at&t or tmobile I believe. I didn't know if they could just put their sim in

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

So are all AT&T phones unlocked too?

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

7 years ago

@Samkelly337 wrote:
That's kinda my question too. I upgraded from an iPhone 6 to galaxy s8+ and someone wants to buy my phone, I have Verizon. They have at&t or tmobile I believe. I didn't know if they could just put their sim in

Verizon does not lock its phones (not allowed per FCC agreement).  Not all phones will work well on other networks.  iPhone 5S, 6, 6S and 7 from Verizon are pretty much universal and will work great on any network.   

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

7 years ago

@pinkskull1224 wrote:
So are all AT&T phones unlocked too?

No.  Verizon is the only US carrier not allowed to lock their postpaid phones.  All other carriers and Verizon prepaid phones are carrier locked with financial or service obligations. 

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

6 years ago

This is my issue with Apple.,  lack of user friendly settings , has to be activated thru their server to verify with the carrier (makes no since and my note 8 or s8 does not have this problem) , the icloud and lack of help if not the original owner ? Before you know it Apple will want a hair sample before activating your device lbs

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.