The new iPhone 15
mnavis29's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Wednesday, April 27th, 2011 12:41 PM

Put old Iphone classic At&t sim card into iphone4?

As the subject is already mentioning; Is it possible to put an old ATT sim card from an iphone classic in an iphone4 (cut it to a microsim) or do I need to buy a new sim card?

Hope anybody can help and enlighten me 🙂

best regards

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Master

• 

10.4K Messages

13 years ago

The OP says he's using the SIM from an old iPhone, so that should be fine. Even the original iPhone had a SIM that had 3G printed on it, even though the phone wasn't capable of 3G. The SIM just holds account information.

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

13 years ago

Possible? Yes.

Why?

You can get a new microSIM from AT&T for free.

You may not be able to achieve 3G speeds with your existing SIM card, is it even a 3G SIM card?  Does it have the 3G fireball logo on it?

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

13 years ago

I am going to visit Texas and California in one week. I own a factory unlocked Iphone4 and have a old ATT sim card from my classic iphone and I was just wondering if it is possible to use my old sim in my new iphone without buying a new microsim! I have heard that a new microsim card would cost me 15 Dollar. That was the reason why I asked!

Guru

• 

647 Messages

13 years ago

@mnavis29 wrote:

I am going to visit Texas and California in one week. I own a factory unlocked Iphone4 and have a old ATT sim card from my classic iphone and I was just wondering if it is possible to use my old sim in my new iphone without buying a new microsim! I have heard that a new microsim card would cost me 15 Dollar. That was the reason why I asked!

The only way you'd be able to (physically) use that old sim in your iPhone 4 is if you cut it down to size since it is not possible to physically insert the sim card from your old iPhone into your iPhone 4 w/o modifying it.  Even if you do cut it down to size, doing so will not eliminate the possibility of other issues such as the one posted earlier in this thread (whether card supports 3G).

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

13 years ago

@mnavis29 wrote:

factory unlokced from what country and carrier, definately not ATT no US based Apple - canada maybe?

Scholar

• 

297 Messages

13 years ago

@mnavis29 wrote:

As the subject is already mentioning; Is it possible to put an old ATT sim card from an iphone classic in an iphone4 (cut it to a microsim) or do I need to buy a new sim card?

Hope anybody can help and enlighten me 🙂

best regards

Yes. 

You can cut a sim down and it will work fine, as long as you don't butcher it...

I have cut many full-size Sims to fit our iPhone 4 phones.

If you do this more than once, buy a trimmer.

To those of you who say why do this?

I have at least 6 Sims from different carriers located in different countries.  It's easier to trim the Sim than go to each carrier and get a new Sim.

If I need to put the sim back in an old sytle phone we use an adapter.

This all works fine, don't let the purists who have never done this scare you away.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.