The new iPhone 15
Arnold33's profile

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

Monday, April 17th, 2017 3:27 PM

Purchased phone still under contract

I recently purchased an iPhone 6s Plus on eBay. The IMEI was clean, no iCloud lock, and it wasn't blacklisted. The only problem is that the phone is still under contract. My understanding is that the phone can only be used on AT&T until the terms of the original contract are completed. I was vaguely told by an AT&T representative that the phone would be unlockable in the future, but she couldn't tell me when.

My question is whether the contract will be completed by me as the new owner, or if the original owner must complete the contract before the phone can be unlocked.

My concern is that if the original owner drops AT&T, the phone may never be unlockable. Also, is there any chance of the phone being blacklisted by AT&T if the original owner drops his contract?

Thanks in advance!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

7 years ago

Th contract can only be completed if the former owner does so by staying with ATT for the full 2 year contract.  

You cannot complete the contract as it was on the former owners line of service.

If they were to cancel service before the contract is complete, and don't pay the ETF, the phone will not be unlocked.

The phone will not be blacklisted unless the original owner were to report it.   ATT does not, they just ding the credit of the original owner.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

@kathy29 You have 14 days to return the phone. Once past the 14 days, you can not return it. You can cancel service at any time, you will just have to pay off the phone.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

Ok that makes sense. I appreciate the quick reply. Fingers crossed that they complete the contract so I can eventually unlock it. It's a relief that I don't worry about it being blacklisted in the future.

Thanks!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

what if I'm unhappy with the plan and it's less than 30 days since I made purchase. Can I return the phone?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.