The new iPhone 15
gionni's profile

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

Saturday, September 10th, 2011 11:43 PM

Problems with iphones bought for international use...

I bought 2 iphones in may in NY for international use. When I came back to my country I found out that the 2 phones were blocked with at&t, but wasn't told so in the store where i bought them, and now the phones are not usable. Is it true that paying some amount of money to at&t i can unblock them and use them in my country? Otherwise is there any other option to be able to use the iphones? Thanks for your reply.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Professor

• 

3.1K Messages

13 years ago

If you look at the box they came it, it does say they are locked to AT&T, right there on the back.

Put them up on eBay, or whatever other internet sales site you prefer, to try and recoup some of your money.

Then buy the (much more expensive) Carrier Unlocked versions here

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC603LL/A

If you wish to try and unlock your current devices, you can find information on the web discussing your options - but we don't discuss those options here.

Master

• 

7.1K Messages

13 years ago

At that time, there was not an iPhone sold in the US that can be unlocked by ATT nor Apple. There is not a fee you can pay to ATT. Either search google for options or sell your iPhones on eBay and buy ones that are usable on your network. Apple now sells an unlocked iPHone but that did not start until June 14th or so. Given how long it has been, you cannot even exchange your iPHones for new ones.

Sorry!

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

13 years ago

Ok. 😞

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

13 years ago

Thanks for your answer. I might put them on ebay then.

Teacher

• 

20 Messages

13 years ago

Jailbreaking and unlocking your phones in your own country should be around $30 USD (or free, if you can find a nice person in an electronics store). A couple weeks after IOS 5 comes out there should be plenty of jailbreaks for the new operating system. If you can, wait until you get IOS 5, because you can't upgrade the operating system after you have jailbreaked the phones.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.