The new iPhone 15
Programmer56's profile

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

Wednesday, August 3rd, 2011 4:38 AM

Possible to transfer phones>?

I currently have a iPhone 3GS and will soon be upgrading. But My main concern is can I give my 3GS to my son who has a "Unlimited Data Plan" and he be able to use it but connect on wifi only. Or can he connect to data but use a small amount? THIS IS A BIG FACTOR in my decsion to stay  with my current or upgrade to bigger and better phones. If I can not I am not going to spend $15 more a month for him to have a data plan. (WE ARE IN SOME TOUGH TIMES!!! ) 

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

13 years ago

@Programmer56 wrote:

So then your saying he can only use it as a ipod then? Can he still call and text and what not? If so then can he do this without fearing charging me with a substantal bill or is there a option in the menu to disable data?

No, read the response.  All iPhones on AT&T, like all smartphones, require a data plan.

If you do not want to have a data plan on his line, the options are:

• Dumb phone
  • QMD device

If you go that route, the old iPhone can still be used as an iPod touch, all phone related functions will be disabled.  If you attempt to use an iPhone or any smartphone on AT&T without a data plan, they will add a data plan for you.

Scholar

• 

176 Messages

13 years ago

All iPhones require a data plan. He can use it on WiFi only like an iPod Touch, but it cannot be used as a cell phone without a data plan.

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

13 years ago

So then your saying he can only use it as a ipod then? Can he still call and text and what not? If so then can he do this without fearing charging me with a substantal bill or is there a option in the menu to disable data?

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

13 years ago

Thats really disapointing. I have been a valuded customer since '91. Other companies are sounding better and better... 

Professor

• 

2.7K Messages

13 years ago

@Programmer56 wrote:

I currently have a iPhone 3GS and will soon be upgrading. But My main concern is can I give my 3GS to my son who has a "Unlimited Data Plan" and he be able to use it but connect on wifi only. Or can he connect to data but use a small amount? THIS IS A BIG FACTOR in my decsion to stay  with my current or upgrade to bigger and better phones. If I can not I am not going to spend $15 more a month for him to have a data plan. (WE ARE IN SOME TOUGH TIMES!!! ) 

Your second sentence makes it sound like your son already has an unlimited data plan on his account.  If so, you do not have to add another data plan, as long as the existing data plan is a smartphone data plan. 

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

13 years ago

@21stNow wrote:

@Programmer56 wrote:

Your second sentence makes it sound like your son already has an unlimited data plan on his account.  If so, you do not have to add another data plan, as long as the existing data plan is a smartphone data plan. 

I agree; you're right. I wonder if it's a QMD/feature phone unlimited data plan.

Programmer56, which phone is your son currently using, anyway? Is it a smartphone? To me, it sounds like a quick messaging device. If he is not using a smartphone and you are willing to give him your 3GS, a data plan will be required.

Professor

• 

3.1K Messages

13 years ago

@Programmer56 wrote:

Thats really disapointing. I have been a valuded customer since '91. Other companies are sounding better and better... 

There are no cell service providers that I know of (at least among Sprint, TMo, AT&T, and VZ) who allow any smartphone to have voice service WITHOUT data service.

It's nothing to do with how long anyone has been a customer, it has everything to do with customers complaining about casual data use charges when they don't have a data plan.

$15/mo is the cheapest data plan you can get for an iPhone.

Mentor

• 

88 Messages

13 years ago

@Programmer56 wrote:

Do let us all know when you find a cell company that doesn't make you take a data plan on a smart phone...

Professor

• 

2.7K Messages

13 years ago

John and Guzinta, T-Mobile does not require a data plan if you buy your smartphone at full price or bring it with you.  If you buy a subsidized smartphone and your contract ends, you can remove the data plan. 

There are rumors floating on the web that this may be ending, but T-Mobile employees say that they are closing a loophole that contract customers were using to get out of a data plan. 

Edit:  T-Mobile has a contract plan now where smartphone users don't have to have a dataplan, but it is a contract for a non-subsidized phone.  This contract plan is strange to me but some customers like it.

Professor

• 

3.1K Messages

13 years ago

@21stNow wrote:

John and Guzinta, T-Mobile does not require a data plan if you buy your smartphone at full price or bring it with you.  If you buy a subsidized smartphone and your contract ends, you can remove the data plan. 

What's the per-KB casual data use cost on T-Mobile?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.