The new iPhone 15
jini850226's profile

Tutor

• 

1 Message

Tuesday, October 10th, 2017 3:47 AM

Poor call quality on iphone 8

I got 2 new iphones on Sep, but i replaced them last weekend due to super poor call quality. Sound was muffled and cut off frequently. I thought it was a manufacturing issue since i had same issue on both iphones, and no improved w/ lastest ios released on october. However, i’m still having same issue on replaced iphones. I googled everyday to find out the reason and found a note to turn off VOLTE for voice. Just selected data only for LTE. (Setting—>cellular data—> cellular data option—> select “data only”)  I think it solved the problem., but i’m wondering WHY the call qaulity is poor on VOLTE. Is the volte supposed to provide a better quality...isn’t it ? 

Is there anyone solve the same issue other than changing cellular data option? Pls help:(

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

Thanks for the response. My phone was still set with Volte turned on until yesterday. I haven’t tried it since then. This gives me hope.

Thanks Again!

Teacher

• 

8 Messages

6 years ago

Turning Volte to data only will help your signal strength, but it doesn't change the muffled call quality for the person on the other end, at least for me it changed nothing except my signal was better. Apple really should do something about this, but it seems like they don't care. I just don't get it. We pay premium prices for their products, we should get perfect call quality since it is the most basic feature of a smartphone.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

SAME ISSUE HERE! Turning VOLTE didn't do ANYTHING for the muffled noise. So
irritated and the apple store is a half an hour drive from where I live.
AT&T Customer service is a joke when it comes to helping you.

Teacher

• 

8 Messages

6 years ago

AT&T did not manufacture the iphone, I firmly believe this is a microphone/speaker issue on the iphone, because when you use speaker phone or a bluetooth headset, the problem goes completely away. The issue only exists when making calls holding the phone to your ear.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

i agree,i am having a very similar issue, this issue has been PEEVING me off for months, i have been patient, and calm in dealing with them! but i am at my last dang straw, I SPECIFICALLY ASKED.. for no TOMATOES on MULTIPLE occasions, and it never FU%&$NG FAILS!!!!! THERE IS ALWAYS TOMATOES!!! i have had it with taco bell. but i made the big switch hoping for a difference in quality, and i'm sad to say del taco taco's had the same issue. i have deduced that it is not the carriers fault, its the actual taco's themselves. i am sorry to say that taco's have lost a very long time customer, i decided to switch manufacturers all together, i now use the 5 layer burrito and honestly i have not had a single issue, if taco's ever fix this issue i may try again, but as for now i cant get enough of those 5 layers... 😉 

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

Hello,

Had a similar experience with my iPhone 8 with muffled sounds and going in and out when making calls on AT&T cellular. Had an iPhone 6 with no issues so not sure what the issue is with this version of the phone or is it software based? I exchanged my iPhone 8 for another one but still the same problem. What do you other suggest as this is annoying and I need my phone for work calls. Also is there any benefit going to the iPhone X instead? Thank you.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

I put the piece of tape over the rear microphone.  Some calls work, but some calls people still say I sound like I am in a tin can.

Going to Apple soon for a refund.

Guru

• 

382 Messages

6 years ago

Glad I'm not an Apple fan boy.  😂 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

I recently purchased an iPhone 8 Plus, after my iPhone 6 Plus refused to provide internet service, anymore. Since owning the new phone, I have experienced problems with it, and returned to the AT&T store, once to speak to a technician about the frequent cutoffs, dead air, and other issues as mentioned by the previous commenters who have experienced similar problems. I’m glad to know I’m not the only one who is having difficulty with the iPhone 8 series, but sad to read that a resolution to the problem has yet to be attained. My sister owns an iPhone X, and even she indicated that a call placed was dropped, or that the recipient couldn’t hear her. 

These phones are sold at a considerable cost, and to not have a completely operable device is highly disconcerting, and frustrating when attempting to operate the device, to no avail of a solution. My iPpnone’s 4,6 worked so much better.  Thanks.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

As an update, I spoke with Apple Senior Tech Support a couple days ago and he had one additional suggestion to try to fix the call quality issue on the iPhone 8. His suggestion was to erase the iPhone 8 and instead of restoring from a previous backup (which I had always done in the past), try setting up the phone as a brand new iPhone and not from any backup. 

The short story is it worked!!! No more muffled phone calls, better sound quality on both ends and reduced dropped and failed calls. Not sure why a previous backup would cause call quality issues but it did?!?

Feel free to try it out, do a complete backup all your data, photos, apps before going this route but it worked for me and reduced my stress level instantly. 

Good luck and happy holidays everyone!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.