Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Photos deleted

Photos deleted

All my photos are deleted. My iCloud photos library was saved in backups. Then deleted it from photo album from my old phone so I can return it by mail. It’s was set up on my new phone & the photos were there. Now the photos are gone on my new phone. What happened?  Why was it deleted on new phone?

Message 1 of 17

Re: Photos deleted

Sooo, when I used the AT&T Mobile Transfer app to transfer from iPhone 5s to iPhone 6 as instructed: all photos were on both phones. Then I only deleted the photos on iPhone 5s not on iPhone 6. After reviewing my iPhone 6 photos later that when I noticed it deleted my photos on iPhone 6 as well. Why did it not save on iPhone 6? When I only deleted the photos on iPhone 5s.

Sent from my iPhone
Message 11 of 17
ACE - Expert

That is the way the iCloud Photo Library works. Any change you make on one device is replicated on all devices so when you deleted pictures on the 5s, you deleted them from the iCloud library and from the iPhone 6. You needed to either sign out of your iCloud account or turn iCloud library off on the 5s before deleting photos. 

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 12 of 17

Oh now you tell me. I wished it was stated with the AT&T Mobile Transfer instructions before I did this. So sad. Now all photos are lost. Well, thanks for the big help. Wish I knew this beforehand.

Sent from my iPhone
Message 13 of 17
ACE - Expert

Except that has nothing to do with the mobile transfer app. As I noted above, that is the way the iCloud Photo Library works. You didn’t even need to use the transfer app to move your photos. All you needed to do was sign into your iCloud account on the 6 and turn the iCloud Photo Library setting on. It would have automatically downloaded all your photos from iCloud.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 14 of 17
ACE - Professor

@Maverick77: The AT&T Mobile Transfer app is useless with iPhones. Somehow it will not work right with iOS products. You have to use iCloud, or iTunes.

Hardcore Pittsburgh Steelers Fan
Message 15 of 17

Well I will keep that in mind. I really don’t trust iCloud because years ago when iCloud rolled out a new add on/program for the 30 days deal plus optimize iPhone storage they lost a lot of people photos & I was one of them. At that time, I didn’t even delete any photos & it just “poof” gone. Maybe it’ll be in iTunes who knows. I’ve never signed up for iTunes so maybe I’ll try that. Ok, thanks for your help & I’m definitely keeping all of these email correspondence for future reference because there are no instructions explaining about how to make sure your photos are in iCloud.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone
Message 16 of 17
ACE - Professor
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by Maverick77
‎04-26-2018 10:07 PM

@Maverick77: For iTunes, you have to download it to your personal computer: https://www.apple.com/itunes/. As for iCloud, here is some info: https://www.apple.com/icloud/

Hardcore Pittsburgh Steelers Fan
Tags (1)
Message 17 of 17
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Do you need to fix, replace or track a device? We Can Help With That!

Additional Support