The new iPhone 15
IX-XI's profile

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

Saturday, July 16th, 2011 1:15 AM

Personal Hotspot Solution

My previous device before iPhone 4 was the HTC Fuze. Best thing about that device was its endless hackability. I flashed so many custom ROMS onto that phone that I can't remember how many it was. Constant updating of the phone's capabilities and NO AT&T CRAPWARE.

But, because of the SIM/microSIM issue, I was wary about using my iPhone 4's SIM with an adapter in my old Fuze.

Finally, though, needed mobile hotspot and was unwilling to give up my grandfathered unlimited data plan. So I bought the best microSIM adapter I could find and slid my iPhone's SIM into the ol' Fuze with a newly-cooked ROM on it, activated its mobile hotspot, and voilá--instant unlimited-data hotspot. Thing sucks power like crazy, but if I keep it plugged in it's no biggie. Works like a charm and gives me full internet access in any hotel without buying their ridiculously priced wifi. Works in the car with the kid in the backseat playing on her iTouch. Now I can travel with my laptop again without sweating internet access.

I thought I'd given up that privilege by migrating to the iPhone. It's such a great gadget in so many ways that I didn't really miss the free wireless hotspot the old Windows Mobile device gave me--until I did.

You can pick up a Fuze or other similar 3g WinMo device on eBay for next to nothing. There might even be one out there I'm unaware of that uses microSIM natively so you don't even have to have an adapter. Then just go through the tutorials on flashing new ROMs on your cheap used phone, put one of the popular ones on there, and you'll have lifetime wireless 3g hotspot for the price of your cheap WinMo last-gen device. No recurring fees, ever. Sound good?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

13 years ago

As any at&t employee can see by my data usage, which rarely goes above 400 mb, I am not a data plan abuser.

I do, however, occasionally want to use my mobile data for my laptop or kid's iTouch when traveling on a long road trip.

I think my $30 per month has paid off handsomely for the company and will continue to do so, considering my level of data usage.

Mentor

• 

46 Messages

13 years ago

Thanks for posting this . Like you my last device was the HTC Fuze ... I have always wondered if the fuze would do the job , and you just gave the answer ... Thanks again ))

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

13 years ago

Just be aware that tethering is not permitted via the TOS on the Unlimited data plan for any device.

If/when caught, AT&T has the right, per the TOS the user agrees to by using the service to move the user to the appropriate plan or terminate service.

Professor

• 

3.1K Messages

13 years ago

@IX-XI wrote:

As any at&t employee can see by my data usage, which rarely goes above 400 mb, I am not a data plan abuser.

I do, however, occasionally want to use my mobile data for my laptop or kid's iTouch when traveling on a long road trip.

I think my $30 per month has paid off handsomely for the company and will continue to do so, considering my level of data usage.

Sorry, you can't do it.

You can drop to the $25 2GB plan (which you clearly can use) and save $5 a month. Two times a year you can add hotspot for when you need it, and drop it after, and still save $10/yr over your $30 plan.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

13 years ago

@IX-XI wrote:

just remember when carrier catches on - and they will eventually you will get a text staing to cease and desist the practice, if you do not do so they will automaticly drop your unlimited plan and place you on the tethered data plan - all perfectly witin their rights, you are doing nothing but violating the agreed terms of service you have with the carrier

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.