For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The new iPhone 15
Pndrafan's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Tuesday, April 14th, 2015 11:03 PM

Pandora via ATT on iPhone 6

Pandora doesn't seem to work unless my iPhone 6 is in cellular mode. It'll play one song and quit. Yet, my previous iPhone 5 had no problem and it didn't have the cellular connection.

My concern is that I'm using data and I have the smallest data plan. But, this situation didn't apply prior to getting a phone with cellular option.

Is it using data when Pandora is playing via cellular? If so, how can I get it to work without cellular on when I'm out and about?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

9 years ago

Pandora can only stream if you have Internet connection, either wifi or cellular. You former iPhone was no different.
And yes, on AT&T streaming music will use data if you don't have wifi connection, like in your car.

Are you new to AT&T? I know other carriers allowed unlimited streaming.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

9 years ago

In order to stream Pandora, you need either wifi connection or cellular. When not at home, cellular is required.
If the phone is not connecting to your home wifi, contact Apple support or AT&T for assistance.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

Two questions still: Why did my iPhone 5 work with Pandora, without cellular but apparently by wifi (i.e.: through a car bluetooth connection) but an iPhone 6 doesn't work unless cellular is on? And, is data use accumulating and costing me every time I play Pandora while driving in the car using bluetooth?
I look forward to these answers. Thanks!

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

With iOS8.3, I can use Bluetooth for Pandora only if cellular is turned on on the iPhone 6. As soon as I leave the house, I need to have cellular turned on for most any activity.

A Pandora tech person sent me an email back providing the cellular data usage when using Pandora:  "That works out to ~8.2 KiloBytes (8.2KB) per second, or roughly 500KB per minute. With additional content such as information about the music and advertising, figure in the neighborhood of 35MB per hour of constant Pandora usage.

"The Normal quality setting is half of this figure."

lizdance40: Thanks for your reply. I've had AT&T for years but my older iPhones didn't require switching cellular on when I left the house, so this is a change.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

9 years ago

Glad you got it sorted out for your phone.
Can't say I know how any device can stream without a connection of some kind, but all that matters is you got it working for you.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.