Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Sep 24, 2012
7:35:41 AM
View profile
Only want to upgrade to iOS 5.1 from 4.x on iPhone4

I have an iPhone 4 and do not want to upgrade to iOS6. Will iTunes let me upgrade only to 5.1? Thanks.

I have an iPhone 4 and do not want to upgrade to iOS6. Will iTunes let me upgrade only to 5.1? Thanks.

Accepted Solution

Only want to upgrade to iOS 5.1 from 4.x on iPhone4

4 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(4)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 24, 2012 8:09:08 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Hi there,

I believe iTunes will only update your device to the latest software version iOS 6. Is there any particular reason you are holding out on this update? Its filled with great features! Smiley Happy

~ Evandela ~

~Sunshine Smiley Happy

Hi there,

I believe iTunes will only update your device to the latest software version iOS 6. Is there any particular reason you are holding out on this update? Its filled with great features! Smiley Happy

~ Evandela ~

~Sunshine :)
- Sunshine :)
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Only want to upgrade to iOS 5.1 from 4.x on iPhone4

2 of 5 (1,993 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 24, 2012 3:36:02 PM
(0)
Teacher

Based on feature list, you dont get Siri, navigation, 3d maps and you lose google maps and youtube ap. So I dont want to upgrade iPhone4. Will get 5 when ready to upgrade hardware.

Based on feature list, you dont get Siri, navigation, 3d maps and you lose google maps and youtube ap. So I dont want to upgrade iPhone4. Will get 5 when ready to upgrade hardware.

3 of 5 (1,962 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 24, 2012 3:38:42 PM
(0)
Former Employee

Worldwde wrote:

You don't really lose google maps or the YouTube app. True they are not bundled with ios6 but you can get them from the App Store. 

Worldwde wrote:

You don't really lose google maps or the YouTube app. True they are not bundled with ios6 but you can get them from the App Store. 

4 of 5 (1,957 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Sep 24, 2012 4:01:17 PM
(0)
Teacher

Download the ipsw file from Apple:

http://appldnld.apple.com/iOS5.1.1/041-4293.20120427.3DRyb/iPhone3,1_5.1.1_9B206_Restore.ipsw

After a backup, click Alt Restore in itunes.  Find the file you downloaded.  This will restore to 5.1.1.  But you have to do it soon.  Since ios6 is out, there is only a limted time you can get on 5.1.1 before the digital signing peroid ends.

Download the ipsw file from Apple:

http://appldnld.apple.com/iOS5.1.1/041-4293.20120427.3DRyb/iPhone3,1_5.1.1_9B206_Restore.ipsw

After a backup, click Alt Restore in itunes.  Find the file you downloaded.  This will restore to 5.1.1.  But you have to do it soon.  Since ios6 is out, there is only a limted time you can get on 5.1.1 before the digital signing peroid ends.

5 of 5 (1,944 Views)
Solution
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments