Only want to upgrade to iOS 5.1 from 4.x on iPhone4

Teacher

Only want to upgrade to iOS 5.1 from 4.x on iPhone4

I have an iPhone 4 and do not want to upgrade to iOS6. Will iTunes let me upgrade only to 5.1? Thanks.

Message 1 of 5
ACE - Professor

Re: Only want to upgrade to iOS 5.1 from 4.x on iPhone4

Hi there,

I believe iTunes will only update your device to the latest software version iOS 6. Is there any particular reason you are holding out on this update? Its filled with great features! Smiley Happy

~ Evandela ~

~Sunshine Smiley Happy
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 5
Teacher

Based on feature list, you dont get Siri, navigation, 3d maps and you lose google maps and youtube ap. So I dont want to upgrade iPhone4. Will get 5 when ready to upgrade hardware.

Message 3 of 5
ACE - Expert

Worldwde wrote:

Based on feature list, you dont get Siri, navigation, 3d maps and you lose google maps and youtube ap. So I dont want to upgrade iPhone4. Will get 5 when ready to upgrade hardware.

You don't really lose google maps or the YouTube app. True they are not bundled with ios6 but you can get them from the App Store. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 5
Highlighted
Teacher

Download the ipsw file from Apple:

http://appldnld.apple.com/iOS5.1.1/041-4293.20120427.3DRyb/iPhone3,1_5.1.1_9B206_Restore.ipsw

After a backup, click Alt Restore in itunes.  Find the file you downloaded.  This will restore to 5.1.1.  But you have to do it soon.  Since ios6 is out, there is only a limted time you can get on 5.1.1 before the digital signing peroid ends.

Tags (1)
Message 5 of 5
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support