The new iPhone 15
Worldwde's profile

Teacher

• 

22 Messages

Monday, September 24th, 2012 2:35 PM

Only want to upgrade to iOS 5.1 from 4.x on iPhone4

I have an iPhone 4 and do not want to upgrade to iOS6. Will iTunes let me upgrade only to 5.1? Thanks.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

12 years ago

Download the ipsw file from Apple:

http://appldnld.apple.com/iOS5.1.1/041-4293.20120427.3DRyb/iPhone3,1_5.1.1_9B206_Restore.ipsw

After a backup, click Alt Restore in itunes.  Find the file you downloaded.  This will restore to 5.1.1.  But you have to do it soon.  Since ios6 is out, there is only a limted time you can get on 5.1.1 before the digital signing peroid ends.

Professor

• 

1.9K Messages

12 years ago

Hi there,

I believe iTunes will only update your device to the latest software version iOS 6. Is there any particular reason you are holding out on this update? Its filled with great features! 🙂

~ Evandela ~

Teacher

• 

22 Messages

12 years ago

Based on feature list, you dont get Siri, navigation, 3d maps and you lose google maps and youtube ap. So I dont want to upgrade iPhone4. Will get 5 when ready to upgrade hardware.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

12 years ago

@Worldwde wrote:

Based on feature list, you dont get Siri, navigation, 3d maps and you lose google maps and youtube ap. So I dont want to upgrade iPhone4. Will get 5 when ready to upgrade hardware.

You don't really lose google maps or the YouTube app. True they are not bundled with ios6 but you can get them from the App Store. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.