The new iPhone 15
rdbecker's profile

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

Saturday, September 22nd, 2012 4:39 PM

No simultaneous voice and date on iPhone 5?

This doesn't seem right. If I'm taking a call on my new iPhone 5, I'm unable to do anything requiring a connection to the internet. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

I mentioned this in a recent post on this thread, I'm experiencing the same issue in the Metro East (Fairview Heights, Swansea area) as recently as this morning. This issue has just croppped up on my device that I've noticed today and I recieved my iPhone on launch day from an AT&T Store. Anyway I did a quick experiment and toggled Data Roaming on (Settings>General>Network) and did a test call to MODOT just to see, and it did seem to revert between LTE and 4G. I was on the way into the office so I'm not sure if this was temporary or not, however it did seem to fix the issue. I believe I left this feature enabled (data roam) on my other devices and only disabled it whenever I traveled internationally. I do not recall ever incurring charges domestically with it enabled. I'd recommend giving that a try. Again, I'm not sure this is the final solution just a suggestion. I'll be stopping by AT&T myself today to either verify this is the cause or see about a new sim card. Good luck!

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

11 years ago

@elmoss1976 wrote:

I mentioned this in a recent post on this thread, I'm experiencing the same issue in the Metro East (Fairview Heights, Swansea area) as recently as this morning. This issue has just croppped up on my device that I've noticed today and I recieved my iPhone on launch day from an AT&T Store. Anyway I did a quick experiment and toggled Data Roaming on (Settings>General>Network) and did a test call to MODOT just to see, and it did seem to revert between LTE and 4G. I was on the way into the office so I'm not sure if this was temporary or not, however it did seem to fix the issue. I believe I left this feature enabled (data roam) on my other devices and only disabled it whenever I traveled internationally. I do not recall ever incurring charges domestically with it enabled. I'd recommend giving that a try. Again, I'm not sure this is the final solution just a suggestion. I'll be stopping by AT&T myself today to either verify this is the cause or see about a new sim card. Good luck!

Turning data roaming on should have no impact on what you experienced. My phone does the same thing and data roaming has always been off. 

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

Here's my update... I went by the AT&T store on the way home this evening after I was still experiencing the issue. They couldn't find anything wrong either however they did replace the SIM card, and as of right now everything seems to be working. Incidentally there is also an update available to 6.0.1 that may rectify the issue as well. 

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

You're right Sanblaster. I was still having the issue this evening. I got the SIM replaced and everything seems to be working fine now. There's also a iOS update that may fix it as well.

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

11 years ago

Can anyone respond if they are still seeing issues?  Now that 6.0.1 is out as well as some of you who replaced your sims.  Do you see a difference?  Is it able to go from LTE to 4g while on a call?

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

11 years ago

@cwman20 wrote:

Can anyone respond if they are still seeing issues?  Now that 6.0.1 is out as well as some of you who replaced your sims.  Do you see a difference?  Is it able to go from LTE to 4g while on a call?

Not sure what you mean by "Is it able to go from LTE to 4g while on a call?". When you place a call or receive a call, your phone will go to 4g. If you are asking whether an existing data connection will switch from LTE to 4g, yes it does, at least it did in my testing. I guess it kind of depends on what kind of data session you have going. If you are streaming music or video, an incoming call is going to interrupt that anyway. I did not test downloading a file to see if the file continued to download during a call.

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

11 years ago

thank you for replying sandblaster.  I was just looking for someone to verify as others were having issues using data & voice with the new iPhone when it first came out.  I am looking for things like using mapquest while on the phone or going to safari or checking email.  Thats really what I want the simulataneous data & voice for.  Thanks

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

11 years ago

I have had the same problem since I got the iPhone 5 in September 2012. Since then, I have had 5 phone replacements, 4 SIM card replacements, closed my AT&T account and reopened it, and tried a new phone number. None of these has fixed the problem described in this forum. I am in Cincinnati, Ohio. SIM card replacements will give you a few days of being able to use data and voice at the same time at 4G speeds. Then the problem returns. Like others have said, if you toggle LTE off in settings, you get a day or two of usability also.

It sounds like this is a bigger issue. Has anyone come up with a solution? As you can tell, I feel like I have tried everything possible to fix this. Many of the AT&T support people I have worked with have been great and have wanted to help me, but so far, no solution has been found.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Jason

Former Community Manager

• 

5.2K Messages

11 years ago

It sounds like you've done a lot of troubleshooting on this. I personally have not experienced this issue  but I think it would be a good idea to get you in touch with a member of my team so we can look at what you're experiencing more closely. 

Will you please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare with your name, account number, email address, phone number and the best time to contact you?  

To send a private message, you can either click on the link in this message or click on the little blue envelope in the upper right hand corner, click "compose new message" and type ATTCustomerCare in the "Send To" field.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

11 years ago

Thanks for your note. I sent an email as directed this evening. I look forward to working with a member of your team to resolve this problem.

Jason

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.