No simultaneous voice and date on iPhone 5?

Teacher

No simultaneous voice and date on iPhone 5?

This doesn't seem right. If I'm taking a call on my new iPhone 5, I'm unable to do anything requiring a connection to the internet. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Message 1 of 71 (21,233 Views)
Highlighted
Tutor

Re: No simultaneous voice and date on iPhone 5?

Can anyone respond if they are still seeing issues?  Now that 6.0.1 is out as well as some of you who replaced your sims.  Do you see a difference?  Is it able to go from LTE to 4g while on a call?

Message 46 of 71 (4,722 Views)
ACE - Master

cwman20 wrote:

Can anyone respond if they are still seeing issues?  Now that 6.0.1 is out as well as some of you who replaced your sims.  Do you see a difference?  Is it able to go from LTE to 4g while on a call?

Not sure what you mean by "Is it able to go from LTE to 4g while on a call?". When you place a call or receive a call, your phone will go to 4g. If you are asking whether an existing data connection will switch from LTE to 4g, yes it does, at least it did in my testing. I guess it kind of depends on what kind of data session you have going. If you are streaming music or video, an incoming call is going to interrupt that anyway. I did not test downloading a file to see if the file continued to download during a call.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 47 of 71 (4,712 Views)
Tutor

thank you for replying sandblaster.  I was just looking for someone to verify as others were having issues using data & voice with the new iPhone when it first came out.  I am looking for things like using mapquest while on the phone or going to safari or checking email.  Thats really what I want the simulataneous data & voice for.  Thanks

Message 48 of 71 (4,706 Views)
Tutor

I have had the same problem since I got the iPhone 5 in September 2012. Since then, I have had 5 phone replacements, 4 SIM card replacements, closed my AT&T account and reopened it, and tried a new phone number. None of these has fixed the problem described in this forum. I am in Cincinnati, Ohio. SIM card replacements will give you a few days of being able to use data and voice at the same time at 4G speeds. Then the problem returns. Like others have said, if you toggle LTE off in settings, you get a day or two of usability also.

It sounds like this is a bigger issue. Has anyone come up with a solution? As you can tell, I feel like I have tried everything possible to fix this. Many of the AT&T support people I have worked with have been great and have wanted to help me, but so far, no solution has been found.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Jason
Message 49 of 71 (4,312 Views)
Former Community Manager

It sounds like you've done a lot of troubleshooting on this. I personally have not experienced this issue  but I think it would be a good idea to get you in touch with a member of my team so we can look at what you're experiencing more closely. 

Will you please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare with your name, account number, email address, phone number and the best time to contact you?  

To send a private message, you can either click on the link in this message or click on the little blue envelope in the upper right hand corner, click "compose new message" and type ATTCustomerCare in the "Send To" field.

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
Message 50 of 71 (4,303 Views)
Tutor

Thanks for your note. I sent an email as directed this evening. I look forward to working with a member of your team to resolve this problem.

Jason

Message 51 of 71 (4,305 Views)
Contributor

I am having this same issue (among others) and tech opened a case for me On 12/20. I still don't have a response. Have you received a response?  

Message 52 of 71 (3,985 Views)
Tutor

Did any of you guys get a response to this issue? I have been having the same issue here in the Detroit area with no improvement. I've visited multipe at&t stores, received multiple new SIM's and a new phone. Seems to be an ongoing issue for many...suprirsed we haven't heard more about it.

Thanks!

Message 53 of 71 (3,729 Views)
Tutor

This was never resolved for me. The supervisor I ended up talking to basically apologized that AT&T couldn't come up with a solution and suggested I go to another network if I needed that feature that bad. I switched to Verizon after that conversation. If it wasn't going to work on AT&T, I would rather have a different phone (went with a Droid DNA that I like better than the iPhone 5 anyway) on Verizon that worked and have better service and customer service. Was a shame, but I felt like no one was really interested in fixing the issue. I bet the problem happens more often than people realize, but they don't notice it and therefore, don't report the problem. I am hoping someone at AT&T figures it out eventually. 

Message 54 of 71 (3,693 Views)
Master

[ Edited ]

Jason1975 wrote:

This was never resolved for me. The supervisor I ended up talking to basically apologized that AT&T couldn't come up with a solution and suggested I go to another network if I needed that feature that bad. I switched to Verizon after that conversation. If it wasn't going to work on AT&T, I would rather have a different phone (went with a Droid DNA that I like better than the iPhone 5 anyway) on Verizon that worked and have better service and customer service. Was a shame, but I felt like no one was really interested in fixing the issue. I bet the problem happens more often than people realize, but they don't notice it and therefore, don't report the problem. I am hoping someone at AT&T figures it out eventually. 

Maybe i am not understanding something here but you switched to a CDMA service that definitely can not do voice and data at the same time because sometimes yours would not switch on how is this an upgrade?

Message 55 of 71 (3,688 Views)
Professor

I'm thinking the same thing. I don't see how guaranteed, built-in inferior capabilities AND an inferior phone are better over a temporary issue that can at some point be resolved. Different strokes, I guess.
Message 56 of 71 (3,664 Views)
ACE - Master

oz_1 wrote:

Maybe i am not understanding something here but you switched to a CDMA service that definitely can not do voice and data at the same time because sometimes yours would not switch on how is this an upgrade?

Keep in mind that Verizon also has LTE and even though their iphone 5 does not support simultaneous voice and data on LTE, other LTE devices do. OP said he swithed to a Droid DNA, which I believe does do simultaneous voice and data on LTE.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 57 of 71 (3,658 Views)
Tutor

That is correct, I switched to a Droid DNA that can do both voice and data, just like the iPhone 5 sometimes does on AT&T. I was a huge iPhone person before getting the DNA. I like the phone just as much as the iPhone 5 and Verizon's customer service is definitely much better. 

Message 58 of 71 (3,610 Views)
Master

I was not aware that Verizon had rolled out both voice and data at the same time thought that was still yet to come sometime this year.

Message 59 of 71 (3,574 Views)
Tutor

I know that Verizon has several Droid phones that do both data and voice over their LTE network available right now. The iPhone won't do it on Verizon, but the Droid phones do. 

Message 60 of 71 (3,531 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.