Ask a question

Posted Sep 22, 2012
    9:39:58 AM
    View profile
    No simultaneous voice and date on iPhone 5?

This doesn't seem right. If I'm taking a call on my new iPhone 5, I'm unable to do anything requiring a connection to the internet. Is anyone else experiencing this?

(0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Solved
    Sep 22, 2012 10:48:04 AM
    (0)
    Master

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1976

iOS: Understanding cellular data networks

Summary

This article provides information on GSM, CDMA, and LTE cellular data networks.

Products Affected

iPad (Wi-Fi + Cellular models), iPhone

When a Wi-Fi network is unavailable, iPhone and iPad (Wi-Fi + Cellular models) are capable of using a cellular data network for Internet connectivity.

Select your carrier network technology to learn more about the cellular data network capabilities and features, including:

• Network types
    • Status Bar icons
    • Whether simultaneous voice and data are supported (on iPhone)

GSM networks

GSM networks support simultaneous voice and data on iPhone when using a UMTS connection.

UMTS 4G Yes Appears on iPhone 4S and iPad (3rd generation) Wi-Fi + Cellular with iOS 5.1 while connected to AT&T's high-speed network in the United States.
    UMTS 3G Yes  
    EDGE E No May be unable to receive calls while transferring data over the cellular network.*
    GPRS ° No
    * If you cannot receive the call, it will immediately go to voicemail.

CDMA networks

CDMA networks do not support simultaneous voice and data on iPhone

EV-DO 3G No Can receive calls while transferring data over the cellular network.
    1xRTT ° No May be unable to receive calls while transferring data over the cellular network.*
    * If you cannot receive the call, it will immediately go to voicemail.

LTE networks

LTE is available with supported LTE carriers.

LTE LTE No1 iPhone 5 and iPad (3rd generation) Wi-Fi + Cellular only.2
    1. iPhone 5 (GSM model) will switch to 3G for data during voice calls.
    2. Requires a supported LTE carrier. For iPhone, see this article. For iPad, see this article.

Additional Information

Cellular data requires an active phone or data plan with a wireless carrier. Contact your wireless carrier for more details.

Cellular data may not be available in all locations, and network speed and connectivity may vary depending on location. Check the carrier's network coverage in your area for availability. See this article for links for wireless carrier support and basic information about the features supported by wireless carriers.

When you are outside your carrier's network, you may be able to access the Internet using another wireless carrier. To use another carrier's network, turn on Data Roaming in Settings > General > Cellular for iPhone; on iPad useSettings > Cellular.

Notes:

• Roaming charges may apply, contact your wireless carrier for more information. To avoid data roaming charges, make sure Data Roaming is turned off.
    • When using a cellular data network that does not support simultaneous voice and data, incoming or outgoing calls will interrupt cellular data transfers until the call ends. This does not affect Wi-Fi network connectivity.
    Important: Information about products not manufactured by Apple is provided for information purposes only and does not constitute Apple’s recommendation or endorsement. Please contact the vendor for additional information.

70 replies
    (0) Me too
    (0) Me too
    View all replies
    (70)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 25, 2012 8:57:23 AM
    (0)
    ACE - Professor

It was known that the AT&T iPhone 5 would not do simultaneous voice and data on LTE before it came out.  That is what Jane was getting at, not that the AT&T iPhone 5 would not do simultaneous voice and data at all.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: No simultaneous voice and date on iPhone 5?

31 of 71 (5,028 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 26, 2012 4:46:05 PM
    (0)
    Scholar

21stNow wrote:

It was known that the AT&T iPhone 5 would not do simultaneous voice and data on LTE before it came out.  That is what Jane was getting at, not that the AT&T iPhone 5 would not do simultaneous voice and data at all.

Thank you!

And to the other person--if you're so concerned about the iPhone 5 not dropping down to 3G while on a call so that you can maintain a simutaneous data/voice connection without dropping the call or not being able to browse...then why are you making a big deal about it here?  It's not as if some AT&T employee or technician is gonna respond to your complaint here in this forum and say, "Yeah we're aware of the issue and are currently working on it."; if you think that it may be an issue with either the iPhone hardware or a cellular network transfer issue, then go call Apple and/or AT&T and open a ticket.

32 of 71 (4,919 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 10, 2012 6:01:59 AM
    (0)
    Tutor

I was able to go to settings --> general --> cellular and I disabled LTE, tried to surf internet while talking on phone and that worked. Then, I enabled LTE and tried to surf internet while talking on phone and now it is working!

33 of 71 (4,766 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 16, 2012 12:26:23 PM
    (0)
    Voyager

I live in St. Louis area as well (Brentwood to be exact), and I am experiencing the same exact issue.

I also discovered that if I disable LTE and receive/make a call, the 4G data connection works correctly as expected and results successful simultaneous voice & data.

If I enable LTE, and receive or make a call, iPhone 5 knocks back to 4G network for a second or two, then the 4G indicator drops and I receive error message in safari stating "Cellular data connections are not available during this call".  At this time, if i attempt to go to settings, while still on the voice call, and if I try to disable LTE in network settings, it warns me that doing so will in fact disconnect my current cal!

This behavior above is not consistent w/ the "Solution" posted to this thread.....

Just to note:

-I most definitely have 3G/4G HSPA+ in my area, as my iPhone 4S connects just fine to this network as well as my new iPhone 5 (when disabling LTE).  Also to note, the EDGE signal strength inside my house is too low to even successfully make a call, so I'm confident the iPhone 5 is not kicking back onto EDGE when a call is placed.

34 of 71 (4,652 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 16, 2012 12:37:48 PM
    (0)
    Teacher

My problem returned for several days leading me to call AT&T for help. They told me to replace my phone, which I did a week from last Friday. This problem returned yesterday and is still an issue today. I'm not too far from you in West County. I'm waiting to see if this issue goes away before taking action. I've wasted a lot of time dealing w/ AT&T and Apple since getting the new phone.

35 of 71 (4,650 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 16, 2012 2:26:36 PM
    (0)
    Employee

jmb12686 wrote:

I live in St. Louis area as well (Brentwood to be exact), and I am experiencing the same exact issue.

I also discovered that if I disable LTE and receive/make a call, the 4G data connection works correctly as expected and results successful simultaneous voice & data.

If I enable LTE, and receive or make a call, iPhone 5 knocks back to 4G network for a second or two, then the 4G indicator drops and I receive error message in safari stating "Cellular data connections are not available during this call".  At this time, if i attempt to go to settings, while still on the voice call, and if I try to disable LTE in network settings, it warns me that doing so will in fact disconnect my current cal!

This behavior above is not consistent w/ the "Solution" posted to this thread.....

Just to note:

-I most definitely have 3G/4G HSPA+ in my area, as my iPhone 4S connects just fine to this network as well as my new iPhone 5 (when disabling LTE).  Also to note, the EDGE signal strength inside my house is too low to even successfully make a call, so I'm confident the iPhone 5 is not kicking back onto EDGE when a call is placed.

I live in the St Louis area also and just successfully did a call/data test. While on LTE, I started streaming music via Pandora. I then called my cell from a landline. The LTE indicator dropped to 4G when the call came in and as the phone rang, the music streaming from Pandora was interrupted. I answered the call and while on the call, opened Safari and started browsing the network. Once I completed the call, the music streaming via Pandora resumed.

I ran this test from the downtown area. No problem with simultaneous voice and data for me.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

36 of 71 (4,634 Views)
    Highlighted
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 19, 2012 10:48:15 AM
    (0)
    Contributor

I'm in St. Louis and experiencing similar issues.  Live in Brentwood and work out in Chesterfield.  The problem seems to start in the Brentwood area. 

Toggling the LTE off and on seems to alleviate the issue for a period of time.  Eventually, if I make a call or receive a call while LTE is enabled, it will drop to 4G as expected for a second or two, and then drops the 4G indicator all together.  At that point I receive the "Cellular data connections are not available during this call". 

As another posted mentioned, if I leave LTE off all the time, I do not experience the issue.  Additionally, I can toggle the LTE back on and get the simultaneous data and voice back for a period of time. 

Has anyone identified a solution?  As it works sometimes, it seems to be more of a software or network issue than hardware, so I'm hesitant to have Apple swap it out.  I have tried resetting the network settings as well as a backup and restore. 

37 of 71 (4,537 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 19, 2012 1:55:30 PM
    (0)
    Contributor

I am also in St. Louis and having the same issue with my iPhone 5.  Funny thing is, when I first got it, it would switch to 4G and I would still be able to browse.  I took it to the Apple Store and the Genius there told me he has the same issue and he was told by AT&T they are aware of the issue and addressing it.  Not sure if that was just to pass the buck to someone else or not, but I registered just to let people in this thread know, especially since I saw so many people in this thread from St. Louis.  Also, I live near The Hill area and I am having this issue no matter where I am in St. Louis.

38 of 71 (4,520 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 19, 2012 2:01:13 PM
    (0)
    Teacher
    I called AT&T yesterday and was told that some iPhones purchased at Apple stores had a bad batch of SIM cards. I am going to have my SIM replaced tomorrow. I'll report back with the results.

39 of 71 (4,518 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 27, 2012 5:59:38 AM
    (0)
    Contributor

Any luck with replacing the SIM card?

40 of 71 (4,384 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 1, 2012 1:11:39 PM
    (0)
    Tutor

I just recently discovered the same issue on my way to work this morning driving from the Metro East into St Louis. From what I've read and understand, data and voice cannot run simultaneously while on LTE, however the phone should revert to 4G, 3G, or whatever lower tier data network is available to allow this feature. Unfortunately I didn't have a lot of time to experiment as I was on my way in to work. However I did turn my Data Roam back on (Settings>General>Network) and that seemed to do the trick. I'm not sure this is the end all solution or not, but once I toggled the feature back on, I attempted a quick call (MODOT Traffic Info) and my network identifier did switch to 4G, and reverted back to LTE once I hung up the call. If this is the solution, you will need to be aware when traveling abroad, if data roam is left on, you will incur substantial additional charges, as the phone tries to use another carriers data to push content. Hope this helps!

41 of 71 (4,311 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 1, 2012 1:23:41 PM
    (0)
    Tutor

I mentioned this in a recent post on this thread, I'm experiencing the same issue in the Metro East (Fairview Heights, Swansea area) as recently as this morning. This issue has just croppped up on my device that I've noticed today and I recieved my iPhone on launch day from an AT&T Store. Anyway I did a quick experiment and toggled Data Roaming on (Settings>General>Network) and did a test call to MODOT just to see, and it did seem to revert between LTE and 4G. I was on the way into the office so I'm not sure if this was temporary or not, however it did seem to fix the issue. I believe I left this feature enabled (data roam) on my other devices and only disabled it whenever I traveled internationally. I do not recall ever incurring charges domestically with it enabled. I'd recommend giving that a try. Again, I'm not sure this is the final solution just a suggestion. I'll be stopping by AT&T myself today to either verify this is the cause or see about a new sim card. Good luck!

42 of 71 (4,307 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 1, 2012 3:24:43 PM
    (0)
    Employee

elmoss1976 wrote:

I mentioned this in a recent post on this thread, I'm experiencing the same issue in the Metro East (Fairview Heights, Swansea area) as recently as this morning. This issue has just croppped up on my device that I've noticed today and I recieved my iPhone on launch day from an AT&T Store. Anyway I did a quick experiment and toggled Data Roaming on (Settings>General>Network) and did a test call to MODOT just to see, and it did seem to revert between LTE and 4G. I was on the way into the office so I'm not sure if this was temporary or not, however it did seem to fix the issue. I believe I left this feature enabled (data roam) on my other devices and only disabled it whenever I traveled internationally. I do not recall ever incurring charges domestically with it enabled. I'd recommend giving that a try. Again, I'm not sure this is the final solution just a suggestion. I'll be stopping by AT&T myself today to either verify this is the cause or see about a new sim card. Good luck!

Turning data roaming on should have no impact on what you experienced. My phone does the same thing and data roaming has always been off. 

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

43 of 71 (4,289 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 1, 2012 5:18:06 PM
    (0)
    Tutor

Here's my update... I went by the AT&T store on the way home this evening after I was still experiencing the issue. They couldn't find anything wrong either however they did replace the SIM card, and as of right now everything seems to be working. Incidentally there is also an update available to 6.0.1 that may rectify the issue as well. 

44 of 71 (4,263 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 1, 2012 5:20:29 PM
    (0)
    Tutor
    You're right Sanblaster. I was still having the issue this evening. I got the SIM replaced and everything seems to be working fine now. There's also a iOS update that may fix it as well.

45 of 71 (4,262 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 9, 2012 7:38:22 AM
    (0)
    Tutor

Can anyone respond if they are still seeing issues?  Now that 6.0.1 is out as well as some of you who replaced your sims.  Do you see a difference?  Is it able to go from LTE to 4g while on a call?

46 of 71 (4,115 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 9, 2012 10:46:36 AM
    (0)
    Employee

cwman20 wrote:

Can anyone respond if they are still seeing issues?  Now that 6.0.1 is out as well as some of you who replaced your sims.  Do you see a difference?  Is it able to go from LTE to 4g while on a call?

Not sure what you mean by "Is it able to go from LTE to 4g while on a call?". When you place a call or receive a call, your phone will go to 4g. If you are asking whether an existing data connection will switch from LTE to 4g, yes it does, at least it did in my testing. I guess it kind of depends on what kind of data session you have going. If you are streaming music or video, an incoming call is going to interrupt that anyway. I did not test downloading a file to see if the file continued to download during a call.

47 of 71 (4,105 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 9, 2012 11:13:32 AM
    (0)
    Tutor

thank you for replying sandblaster.  I was just looking for someone to verify as others were having issues using data & voice with the new iPhone when it first came out.  I am looking for things like using mapquest while on the phone or going to safari or checking email.  Thats really what I want the simulataneous data & voice for.  Thanks

48 of 71 (4,099 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Dec 14, 2012 4:16:02 AM
    (0)
    Tutor
    I have had the same problem since I got the iPhone 5 in September 2012. Since then, I have had 5 phone replacements, 4 SIM card replacements, closed my AT&T account and reopened it, and tried a new phone number. None of these has fixed the problem described in this forum. I am in Cincinnati, Ohio. SIM card replacements will give you a few days of being able to use data and voice at the same time at 4G speeds. Then the problem returns. Like others have said, if you toggle LTE off in settings, you get a day or two of usability also.

It sounds like this is a bigger issue. Has anyone come up with a solution? As you can tell, I feel like I have tried everything possible to fix this. Many of the AT&T support people I have worked with have been great and have wanted to help me, but so far, no solution has been found.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
    Jason

49 of 71 (3,705 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Dec 14, 2012 7:29:15 AM
    (0)
    Former Community Manager

It sounds like you've done a lot of troubleshooting on this. I personally have not experienced this issue  but I think it would be a good idea to get you in touch with a member of my team so we can look at what you're experiencing more closely. 

Will you please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare with your name, account number, email address, phone number and the best time to contact you?  

To send a private message, you can either click on the link in this message or click on the little blue envelope in the upper right hand corner, click "compose new message" and type ATTCustomerCare in the "Send To" field.

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages. If you have an account related issue, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

50 of 71 (3,696 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Dec 14, 2012 5:02:17 PM
    (0)
    Tutor

Thanks for your note. I sent an email as directed this evening. I look forward to working with a member of your team to resolve this problem.

Jason

51 of 71 (3,698 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jan 2, 2013 6:16:41 PM
    (0)
    Contributor

I am having this same issue (among others) and tech opened a case for me On 12/20. I still don't have a response. Have you received a response?  

52 of 71 (3,378 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jan 21, 2013 6:54:39 PM
    (0)
    Tutor

Did any of you guys get a response to this issue? I have been having the same issue here in the Detroit area with no improvement. I've visited multipe at&t stores, received multiple new SIM's and a new phone. Seems to be an ongoing issue for many...suprirsed we haven't heard more about it.

Thanks!

53 of 71 (3,122 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jan 22, 2013 7:52:10 PM
    (0)
    Tutor

This was never resolved for me. The supervisor I ended up talking to basically apologized that AT&T couldn't come up with a solution and suggested I go to another network if I needed that feature that bad. I switched to Verizon after that conversation. If it wasn't going to work on AT&T, I would rather have a different phone (went with a Droid DNA that I like better than the iPhone 5 anyway) on Verizon that worked and have better service and customer service. Was a shame, but I felt like no one was really interested in fixing the issue. I bet the problem happens more often than people realize, but they don't notice it and therefore, don't report the problem. I am hoping someone at AT&T figures it out eventually. 

54 of 71 (3,086 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jan 22, 2013 8:31:35 PM
    (0)
    ACE - Master
    Edited by oz_1 on Jan 22, 2013 at 8:32:03 PM

Jason1975 wrote:

This was never resolved for me. The supervisor I ended up talking to basically apologized that AT&T couldn't come up with a solution and suggested I go to another network if I needed that feature that bad. I switched to Verizon after that conversation. If it wasn't going to work on AT&T, I would rather have a different phone (went with a Droid DNA that I like better than the iPhone 5 anyway) on Verizon that worked and have better service and customer service. Was a shame, but I felt like no one was really interested in fixing the issue. I bet the problem happens more often than people realize, but they don't notice it and therefore, don't report the problem. I am hoping someone at AT&T figures it out eventually. 

Maybe i am not understanding something here but you switched to a CDMA service that definitely can not do voice and data at the same time because sometimes yours would not switch on how is this an upgrade?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
    55 of 71 (3,081 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jan 23, 2013 4:37:33 AM
    (0)
    Professor
    I'm thinking the same thing. I don't see how guaranteed, built-in inferior capabilities AND an inferior phone are better over a temporary issue that can at some point be resolved. Different strokes, I guess.

56 of 71 (3,057 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jan 23, 2013 6:56:17 AM
    (0)
    Employee

oz_1 wrote:

Maybe i am not understanding something here but you switched to a CDMA service that definitely can not do voice and data at the same time because sometimes yours would not switch on how is this an upgrade?

Keep in mind that Verizon also has LTE and even though their iphone 5 does not support simultaneous voice and data on LTE, other LTE devices do. OP said he swithed to a Droid DNA, which I believe does do simultaneous voice and data on LTE.

57 of 71 (3,051 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jan 23, 2013 8:14:51 PM
    (0)
    Tutor

That is correct, I switched to a Droid DNA that can do both voice and data, just like the iPhone 5 sometimes does on AT&T. I was a huge iPhone person before getting the DNA. I like the phone just as much as the iPhone 5 and Verizon's customer service is definitely much better. 

58 of 71 (3,003 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jan 24, 2013 11:25:25 AM
    (0)
    ACE - Master

I was not aware that Verizon had rolled out both voice and data at the same time thought that was still yet to come sometime this year.

59 of 71 (2,967 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jan 25, 2013 3:54:28 AM
    (0)
    Tutor

I know that Verizon has several Droid phones that do both data and voice over their LTE network available right now. The iPhone won't do it on Verizon, but the Droid phones do. 

60 of 71 (2,924 Views)