The new iPhone 15
rdbecker's profile

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

Saturday, September 22nd, 2012 4:39 PM

No simultaneous voice and date on iPhone 5?

This doesn't seem right. If I'm taking a call on my new iPhone 5, I'm unable to do anything requiring a connection to the internet. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

12 years ago

Thanks for checking. But it is not working that way here in michigan right now.

We shall see.

is there an effect for it swapping back to LTE?

Mentor

• 

88 Messages

12 years ago

I see the same symtoms here often, too.  You answer a call and the 4G dissaprears.  At that point you will not be able to surf..period.  I don't know what AT&T is doing lately, but the network in my area has gone downhill big time.  I used to sing AT&T praises to everyone becuase they were the better solution, but lately I'm not so sure.  It may be time to re-evaluate... I've done many many "Mark the Spot" entrys to no avail.  BTW, I'm on a 4S

Scholar

• 

397 Messages

12 years ago

@cwman20 wrote:

I am getting the phone because it has LTE.  Why would I buy a phone just to disable LTE and drop down to a lesser service?

I dunno, maybe because it's the iPhone 5?  I mean, IIRC there are other phones that have LTE so for you to say that you're getting the phone (simply) because it has LTE is somewhat of a stretch, considering the phone in question (iPhone 5).

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

12 years ago

LOL Jane.  Your response cracks me up.  Since all you know is that "ITS THE iPHONE 5" and the we all have to get it thinking is out there in left field, then you wouldn't understand technology behind all of this.  There are other LTE phones that do exactly that.. both data & voice simultaneously.   But thats ok...  I understand... "ITS THE IPHONE 5" LOL

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

12 years ago

Okay...today my phone flips to 4G while on a call. What is not doing is flipping back to LTE when I disconnect. A speed test confirms this. And, as I type this reply my phone now rejoined LTE.

Master

• 

7.4K Messages

12 years ago

@rdbecker wrote:
Okay...today my phone flips to 4G while on a call. What is not doing is flipping back to LTE when I disconnect. A speed test confirms this. And, as I type this reply my phone now rejoined LTE.

Definately sounds like ATT is doing someting on the network side in your area.  Bad part is, it will be futile to get a real answer from ATT.  You can use the iPhone AT&T Mark the Spot app, and keep using it to report the issue as you move around to different areas.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/at-t-mark-the-spot/id338307313?mt=8

But of you call asking a status, you will normally get the runaround as they generally don't know themselves.

Master

• 

7.4K Messages

12 years ago

@cwman20 wrote:

I havent tested if it works on 4g only when turning off LTE.  But that is the whole point.  I am getting the phone because it has LTE.  Why would I buy a phone just to disable LTE and drop down to a lesser service?

I didn't tell you to disable it peremently.  I just suggesting doing it temporarily to test different aspect of the network in your area to rule out what does and doesn't work.

Scholar

• 

397 Messages

12 years ago

@cwman20 wrote:

There are other LTE phones that do exactly that.. both data & voice simultaneously.   But thats ok...  I understand... "ITS THE IPHONE 5" LOL

Then go buy one of those phones instead if simutaneous data and voice is that important to you--IIRC it was previously established that the iPhone 5 could not do simultaneous voice and data while on LTE.  Not sure what point you were trying to make by complaining about such a shortcoming that was already known, other than whining for the sake of whining.

Have a nice day! Smiley Happy

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

12 years ago

Actually Jane... It was only known for the Verizon & Sprint phones, not AT&T iPhone.  Its not for the sake of complaining but for the sake of trying to understand the issue, which is why it is not working and how it can be fixed.  The issue is why the service is not dropping down to the 3g network while on a call, then picking up LTE after finishing the call.

But since you don't want to read the whole thread my suggestion would be to enjoy your iPhone 5 and leave the posts between those who want to figure out the issue.

Have a Nice Day

Smiley LOL

Professor

• 

2.7K Messages

12 years ago

It was known that the AT&T iPhone 5 would not do simultaneous voice and data on LTE before it came out.  That is what Jane was getting at, not that the AT&T iPhone 5 would not do simultaneous voice and data at all.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.