No simultaneous voice and date on iPhone 5?

Teacher

No simultaneous voice and date on iPhone 5?

This doesn't seem right. If I'm taking a call on my new iPhone 5, I'm unable to do anything requiring a connection to the internet. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Message 1 of 71 (21,180 Views)
Master

Re: No simultaneous voice and date on iPhone 5?

I'm not saying your not having issues.  I'm just trying to think of ways to break out troubleshooting to determine if it would be a device issue, and account issue or possible network issue in your area.

The part that should be happening and it's not is when your phone goes from LTE to 4G, it should stay there on 4G so it can use data.  But for some reason it not.  The 4G is dissapearing after a second the then there is nothing after the AT&T.

What happens if you turn off the LTE in the setitngs?  

Does the phone stay in 4G mode?  

Can you use voice and data at the same time?

Message 16 of 71 (19,865 Views)
Tutor

I do not live in St. Louis.  I live in Michigan

Message 17 of 71 (19,781 Views)
Tutor

I havent tested if it works on 4g only when turning off LTE.  But that is the whole point.  I am getting the phone because it has LTE.  Why would I buy a phone just to disable LTE and drop down to a lesser service?

Message 18 of 71 (19,773 Views)
Professor

The phone is always going to drop out of LTE when on a call because of how Apple designed the chip.
Message 19 of 71 (19,731 Views)
Tutor

If it worked that way dwill05 I would not have a problem.  But unfortunately it does not work.  If you have the iphone 5 can you test it for me?  Make a call and then use Data, on LTE.  see what happens

Message 20 of 71 (19,727 Views)
Professor

I did. LTE showing, initiated a call, indicator dropped immediately to 4G, went to Safari, open and changed web pages with no issue while call was ongoing. Only issue is that it seemed to take a little while to swap back to LTE after call ended.
Message 21 of 71 (19,682 Views)
Tutor

Thanks for checking. But it is not working that way here in michigan right now.

We shall see.

is there an effect for it swapping back to LTE?
Message 22 of 71 (19,676 Views)
Mentor

I see the same symtoms here often, too.  You answer a call and the 4G dissaprears.  At that point you will not be able to surf..period.  I don't know what AT&T is doing lately, but the network in my area has gone downhill big time.  I used to sing AT&T praises to everyone becuase they were the better solution, but lately I'm not so sure.  It may be time to re-evaluate... I've done many many "Mark the Spot" entrys to no avail.  BTW, I'm on a 4S

Message 23 of 71 (19,663 Views)
Highlighted
Scholar

cwman20 wrote:

I am getting the phone because it has LTE.  Why would I buy a phone just to disable LTE and drop down to a lesser service?

I dunno, maybe because it's the iPhone 5?  I mean, IIRC there are other phones that have LTE so for you to say that you're getting the phone (simply) because it has LTE is somewhat of a stretch, considering the phone in question (iPhone 5).

Message 24 of 71 (19,629 Views)
Tutor

LOL Jane.  Your response cracks me up.  Since all you know is that "ITS THE iPHONE 5" and the we all have to get it thinking is out there in left field, then you wouldn't understand technology behind all of this.  There are other LTE phones that do exactly that.. both data & voice simultaneously.   But thats ok...  I understand... "ITS THE IPHONE 5" LOL

Message 25 of 71 (19,617 Views)
Teacher

Okay...today my phone flips to 4G while on a call. What is not doing is flipping back to LTE when I disconnect. A speed test confirms this. And, as I type this reply my phone now rejoined LTE.
Message 26 of 71 (19,581 Views)
Master

rdbecker wrote:
Okay...today my phone flips to 4G while on a call. What is not doing is flipping back to LTE when I disconnect. A speed test confirms this. And, as I type this reply my phone now rejoined LTE.

Definately sounds like ATT is doing someting on the network side in your area.  Bad part is, it will be futile to get a real answer from ATT.  You can use the iPhone AT&T Mark the Spot app, and keep using it to report the issue as you move around to different areas.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/at-t-mark-the-spot/id338307313?mt=8

But of you call asking a status, you will normally get the runaround as they generally don't know themselves.

Message 27 of 71 (19,467 Views)
Master

cwman20 wrote:

I havent tested if it works on 4g only when turning off LTE.  But that is the whole point.  I am getting the phone because it has LTE.  Why would I buy a phone just to disable LTE and drop down to a lesser service?

I didn't tell you to disable it peremently.  I just suggesting doing it temporarily to test different aspect of the network in your area to rule out what does and doesn't work.

Message 28 of 71 (19,466 Views)
Scholar

cwman20 wrote:

There are other LTE phones that do exactly that.. both data & voice simultaneously.   But thats ok...  I understand... "ITS THE IPHONE 5" LOL

Then go buy one of those phones instead if simutaneous data and voice is that important to you--IIRC it was previously established that the iPhone 5 could not do simultaneous voice and data while on LTE.  Not sure what point you were trying to make by complaining about such a shortcoming that was already known, other than whining for the sake of whining.

Have a nice day! Smiley Happy

Message 29 of 71 (19,292 Views)
Tutor

Actually Jane... It was only known for the Verizon & Sprint phones, not AT&T iPhone.  Its not for the sake of complaining but for the sake of trying to understand the issue, which is why it is not working and how it can be fixed.  The issue is why the service is not dropping down to the 3g network while on a call, then picking up LTE after finishing the call.

But since you don't want to read the whole thread my suggestion would be to enjoy your iPhone 5 and leave the posts between those who want to figure out the issue.

Have a Nice Day

Smiley LOL

Message 30 of 71 (19,283 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.