For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The new iPhone 15
rdbecker's profile

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

Saturday, September 22nd, 2012 4:39 PM

No simultaneous voice and date on iPhone 5?

This doesn't seem right. If I'm taking a call on my new iPhone 5, I'm unable to do anything requiring a connection to the internet. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Master

• 

7.4K Messages

12 years ago

No your mixing the technologies.  Those are two seprate and differnt senarios.  The LTE (ATT GSM Version) will always fall back to 3G for data if there is a call.  No matter if the data was initated before or during the call.

The other statement was for netowrks that don't support it simultanious (ie CDMA), the data is dropped completely for the call if you were in a data session or will not be available if your in a call.

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

12 years ago

No follow up?

@jamileh wrote:

You definitely should have the ability to use voice and data at the same time. 

Do you get an error message or does it just time out?

Have you done any troubleshooting like restarting your phone or resetting your network settings?

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

12 years ago

I don't know how that solution actually is a viable one since it does not work.  like I said the phone does not go down to 3G when on a call. It stays on LTE and gives an error that data can not be used during a phone concall.  This needs to be checked and fixed.

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

12 years ago

@cwman20 wrote:

I don't know how that solution actually is a viable one since it does not work.  like I said the phone does not go down to 3G when on a call. It stays on LTE and gives an error that data can not be used during a phone concall.  This needs to be checked and fixed.

I just got off my second AT&T support chat of the weekend. A ticket was opened after the first session; the tech wanted to find out if there was a larger issue going on. It's obvious there isn't because more people would be talking about it. My second session tonight ended with no progress. The tech tried to tell me LTE isn't in my area even though my phone shows the LTE network. I gave him LTE and 4G speed tests to prove him wrong. I shouldn't need to do that. After that, he told me to wait until my ticket was resolved. This is getting stupid. I'm going to the Apple Store tomorrow, but I can't imagine there's much they can do, unless they want to replace my phone (which wouldn't really address the AT&T problem).

Are you in St. Louis, by chance?

Master

• 

7.4K Messages

12 years ago

I'm not saying your not having issues.  I'm just trying to think of ways to break out troubleshooting to determine if it would be a device issue, and account issue or possible network issue in your area.

The part that should be happening and it's not is when your phone goes from LTE to 4G, it should stay there on 4G so it can use data.  But for some reason it not.  The 4G is dissapearing after a second the then there is nothing after the AT&T.

What happens if you turn off the LTE in the setitngs?  

Does the phone stay in 4G mode?  

Can you use voice and data at the same time?

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

12 years ago

I do not live in St. Louis.  I live in Michigan

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

12 years ago

I havent tested if it works on 4g only when turning off LTE.  But that is the whole point.  I am getting the phone because it has LTE.  Why would I buy a phone just to disable LTE and drop down to a lesser service?

ACE - Master

• 

10.4K Messages

12 years ago

The phone is always going to drop out of LTE when on a call because of how Apple designed the chip.

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

12 years ago

If it worked that way dwill05 I would not have a problem.  But unfortunately it does not work.  If you have the iphone 5 can you test it for me?  Make a call and then use Data, on LTE.  see what happens

ACE - Master

• 

10.4K Messages

12 years ago

I did. LTE showing, initiated a call, indicator dropped immediately to 4G, went to Safari, open and changed web pages with no issue while call was ongoing. Only issue is that it seemed to take a little while to swap back to LTE after call ended.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.