The new iPhone 15
rdbecker's profile

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

Saturday, September 22nd, 2012 4:39 PM

No simultaneous voice and date on iPhone 5?

This doesn't seem right. If I'm taking a call on my new iPhone 5, I'm unable to do anything requiring a connection to the internet. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Master

• 

7.4K Messages

11 years ago

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1976

iOS: Understanding cellular data networks

Summary

This article provides information on GSM, CDMA, and LTE cellular data networks.

Products Affected

iPad (Wi-Fi + Cellular models), iPhone

When a Wi-Fi network is unavailable, iPhone and iPad (Wi-Fi + Cellular models) are capable of using a cellular data network for Internet connectivity.

Select your carrier network technology to learn more about the cellular data network capabilities and features, including:

• Network types
  • Status Bar icons
  • Whether simultaneous voice and data are supported (on iPhone)

GSM networks

GSM networks support simultaneous voice and data on iPhone when using a UMTS connection.

UMTS 4G Yes Appears on iPhone 4S and iPad (3rd generation) Wi-Fi + Cellular with iOS 5.1 while connected to AT&T's high-speed network in the United States.
UMTS 3G Yes  
EDGE E No May be unable to receive calls while transferring data over the cellular network.*
GPRS ° No
* If you cannot receive the call, it will immediately go to voicemail.

CDMA networks

CDMA networks do not support simultaneous voice and data on iPhone

EV-DO 3G No Can receive calls while transferring data over the cellular network.
1xRTT ° No May be unable to receive calls while transferring data over the cellular network.*
* If you cannot receive the call, it will immediately go to voicemail.

LTE networks

LTE is available with supported LTE carriers.

LTE LTE No1 iPhone 5 and iPad (3rd generation) Wi-Fi + Cellular only.2
  1. iPhone 5 (GSM model) will switch to 3G for data during voice calls.
  2. Requires a supported LTE carrier. For iPhone, see this article. For iPad, see this article.

Additional Information

Cellular data requires an active phone or data plan with a wireless carrier. Contact your wireless carrier for more details.

Cellular data may not be available in all locations, and network speed and connectivity may vary depending on location. Check the carrier's network coverage in your area for availability. See this article for links for wireless carrier support and basic information about the features supported by wireless carriers.

When you are outside your carrier's network, you may be able to access the Internet using another wireless carrier. To use another carrier's network, turn on Data Roaming in Settings > General > Cellular for iPhone; on iPad useSettings > Cellular.

Notes:

• Roaming charges may apply, contact your wireless carrier for more information. To avoid data roaming charges, make sure Data Roaming is turned off.
  • When using a cellular data network that does not support simultaneous voice and data, incoming or outgoing calls will interrupt cellular data transfers until the call ends. This does not affect Wi-Fi network connectivity.
Important: Information about products not manufactured by Apple is provided for information purposes only and does not constitute Apple’s recommendation or endorsement. Please contact the vendor for additional information.

Former Community Manager

• 

5.2K Messages

11 years ago

You definitely should have the ability to use voice and data at the same time. Edit -  As discussed in this thread; if you're in an area of LTE service, your data use should shift to 3G. 

Do you get an error message or does it just time out?

Have you done any troubleshooting like restarting your phone or resetting your network settings?

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

11 years ago

I have restarted the phone several times.I just tried restarting the network settings and have the same problem. If I place an outbound call, I'll see 4G replace LTE at the top of the screen very briefly. When the call is in progress, 4G disappears and nothing is shown in its place next to the word "AT&T". The error message I receive says: "Cellular data connections are not available during this call." Under General > Cellular, Cellular Data is on, Enable LTE is on.

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

11 years ago

INterestingly enough I have tested this on 2 new iphones, both family members, and the same issue arises.  This was what I was afraid of and kept me from buying the iPhone 5. 

Not sure what the exact issue is, but it might be a combination of Apple & AT&T.

If any one knows how to fix please let us know

Professor

• 

2.7K Messages

11 years ago

Are you in a 3G area? I would assume that you are if you are in an area covered by LTE. Because of the way that the iPhone 5 is designed, if you attempt to use data and voice at the same time, the data should fall back to the 3G network, and you should be able to do both at the same time. The data will not go over LTE while you are on a call because voice and data are on the same chip.

It sounds like your calls are falling down to the 2G network, which doesn't allow similtaneous voice and data. I'm not familiar with your available settings options, but do you have 3G enabled on your phone?

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

11 years ago

I'm in St. Louis. I don't have an option to enable 3G in iOS6.

ACE - Master

• 

10.2K Messages

11 years ago

@rdbecker wrote:

I'm in St. Louis. I don't have an option to enable 3G in iOS6.

In iOS6, the only option is to enable/disable LTE.  4G (HSPA+), 3G, and EDGE are on by default, unless you turn off all cellular data.

They do claim the on the AT&T network, the phone will fall back to 3G when in an LTE area, but how does that actually work?  If you initiate or receive a voice call, does that automatically drop everything back to 3G, both voice and data, even if your aren't using daa at the time?  Or if you are on a voice call and then try to use data while in an LTE area, does that then drop everything back to 3G?  If it's not working, the transition may not be working right.

ACE - Master

• 

10.2K Messages

11 years ago

This is interesting:

When using a cellular data network that does not support simultaneous voice and data, incoming or outgoing calls will interrupt cellular data transfers until the call ends.

This seems to imply that if you are transferring data over LTE and a call comes in, or you start one, it won't drop to 3G.

However, this says:

iPhone 5 (GSM model) will switch to 3G for data during voice

Which states the opposite, unless it's limited to just starting data transfer during a call, although it doesn't say that.

Mentor

• 

72 Messages

11 years ago

Mine works fine.

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

11 years ago

I contacted chat support and didn't accomplish much. They are going to open a ticket to see if there's an unreported outage or other issue. If this is a larger problem specific to St. Lous, I would have expected more people to complain about it.  Getting this phone going is proving to be a very time intensive process.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.