The new iPhone 15
Mgriss28's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Saturday, September 17th, 2016 6:00 PM

No Service - iPhone 7

I upgraded two iPhones last night to the iPhone 7. I have upgraded several in the past, and have always used the same process. I backup to old device to iCloud, then use the backup to restore on the new device. Both upgraded fine, but it has now been 15 hours and both devices still say "No Service".

Professor

• 

3.2K Messages

8 years ago

Did you use your old sim card or the new (included) one? If you used the new one, you have to go through the activation process.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

I had planned on using the new ones. Don't recall having to go through an activation process in the past, but it has been a couple of years. How do you do the activation process? Or I could stick with the old SIM cards if it is easier.

ACE - Expert

• 

13.1K Messages

8 years ago

You can use the old SIM cards but if you go to the online account and go to wireless - Activate device or SIM, it is just a matter of entering your phone number and billing zip and clicking a few buttons, The IMEI and SIM ID are already there.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

Awesome! I assume there is no real benefit as to using new sim vs old sim.

ACE - Expert

• 

13.1K Messages

8 years ago

Sim will occasionally go bad over a few years use. It is usually best to use the new sim however you can hold on to the new sim in case the old one goes bad and then have AT&T activate that sim.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

8 years ago

Depending on how old your old iPhones are, there might be a benefit to using a new sim. The old sim might not support advanced calling features such as HD Voice and wifi calling. When I upgraded my wife's phone from iPhone 5 to iPhone SE, the sim from the iPhone 5 did not support wifi calling. I needed the new sim to activate that feature. 

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

I'm having a similar issue with my iPhone 7. It was all working fine, then this morning it looked like I had LTE service, but I couldn't get calls. I rebooted the phone and now it shows no service. Crazy thing is if I walk across the street and reboot the phone service comes back. As soon as I walk back to my house I lose service again. Mind you, I've had full service with all my other iPhones at home. Not just that, but if I put my sim in an iPhone 6s, no issues! I'm starting to wonder if the intel chip being used in the iPhone 7 (not plus) has a weird issue.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

OK, so i went to the Apple store today, let them know the problem that I had, to my surprise they were already aware of the problem and swapped my phone out immediatly. They said they have seen this issue on a few handsets now and are swapping them out. 

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

I have a walk in appointment after speaking to ATT and Apple Tech support for over 2 hrs combined yesterday. What a mess. A swap out phone would be nice.

• 

25.7K Messages

8 years ago

Went to the Apple Store and they wouldn't give me an exchange. They said because I had bought the phone from ATT, I would have to return the phone to ATT then I could purchase from their Apple Store. I went to ATT and they told me that Apple should have been able to do a swap after a diagnostics. So I don't know who's making up stories. Anyways I ended up having to pay ATT a device restocking fee of $48 for an exchange! 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.