The new iPhone 15
hflorian's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Thursday, February 26th, 2015 4:42 PM

Next step to reverse upgrade?

I attempted to upgrade to an iphone 6 a few days ago. Unfortunately, as soon as I received the initial confirmation e-mail, I saw that the shipping zip code was incorrect (billing was ok). This was less than an hour after I placed the order. I called right away and was told by the person on the customer service line that the error had been fixed and the zip code was corrected.

However, I was concerned when I almost immediately got another e-mail after that which still had the wrong address. I called again and was told that the order had already headed to the warehouse and that nothing could be done until I had a tracking number. Then at that time they would recall the package and could reverse my upgrade so I could place another order to the correct address.

I called back the next day as instructed. The rep very helpfully contacted fedex and got the package recalled. Fedex has confirmed for me that the package is being returned.

The problem is that the rep I talked to the second day, who recalled the package, gave me different information about my options for another order. Contrary to what I was told at first, she did not offer to reverse the upgrade, but rather said that my option was to pay the 2 year contract price for the new order and get a refund once the original order makes it back to the warehouse. Or just to wait the 15 business days until it is restocked and the system resets to show my upgrade.

I do not want to screw up the situation worse by doing the wrong thing, so for the moment I have not attempted to either have the upgrade reversed or order another phone.

What is my best course of action here? What probably should have been done the first time I called was just to cancel the order, since at that point it wasn't at the warehouse yet. Unfortunately, since I was mistakenly told that the error was fixed, it proceeded and the situation is a much bigger mess than if it had just been canceled.

Do I really have to wait 15 business days for the restock or can it be reversed as the other rep told me? I'm definitely not going to pay the 2 year upgrade price in hopes of a refund later, as that sounds even more complicated and prone to errors.

Community Support

• 

15.2K Messages

9 years ago

Hello! @hflorian Thanks for posting your upgrade question. Our apologies that it’s getting confusing.

Once the warehouse has received the returned iPhone, they will immediately reverse the upgrade and you’ll be able to go ahead and process the new order at the commitment discounted price. If this is not the case then we will need to verify the return and can get the upgrade reversed for you.  So we can get this resolved, Please send me a private message by Clicking Here and include the following information:

Your cellular or account number

Your full name

The best date and time to contact you

Hope this helps!

Charise

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

I have an issue as well that is along the same lines. I wanted to try and lower my bill and upgrade to the iphone xr from the x. (lower next plan payment). I received the phone on the 26th of October, tried it out and quickly knew I had made a mistake. I returned the phone via the return prepaid and box provided and shipped on the 29th that next business day. Tracking shows that it was delivered on 11/02. I call about a week later and they told me that it takes a while once received to inspect etc. My next thought was to just do a slight upgrade to the iphone xs for the better wifi strength, newer battery since I'm a heavy user etc. instead of the xr. I thought I'd stop in the corporate store to finally get it done, but no help there either as they told me they know the process is long but that they see the refund in process and to give it 24 hours to reverse before they can do anything. So I left and kept checking daily and here we are 4 days later and nothing still is done.  Customer service seems robotic at best and that is being nice, I was on the phone for 1hr 56min (that I can prove) trying to find out how to get this reversed. I was transferred more than once as well making me repeat my story over and over while this was made way to complicated. Long story short I still don't have it reversed, but I did get my upgrade fee taken off and phone tax credited back after a very long time. The rep told me they filed a report to get this escalated and it would be now by November 22nd to get a resolution. Not only was that ridiculous, but to make matters worse I received a random text today from AT&T that said sorry we could not complete your request and to login for additional info. (I did this and there was no information of course there) I tried being very nice about this whole process but it really is a terrible way to do business. I've been a customer there a long time and even an employee at once long ago, but none of that matters to them. All I wanted is my upgrade reversed, get the right phone and move on with my life. This is a simple task and a simple single line account. I am dreading making another call to this place to find out why this couldn't be done now. I will certainly never upgrade online again, and I'm really thinking about my options now of another carrier.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.