For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The new iPhone 15
caross73's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Saturday, August 25th, 2018 6:58 AM

Closed

Does the Next Plan make me pay for a phone i don't use?

I have 3 lines. One was for my son and had a fairly new iPhone 8 on the next plan. He moved out and I no longer have him in my plan. I put his iPhone 8 under my husband’s number (out the SIM card from his old phone in the iPhone 😎 I suspended my sons number. Both my husband and my iPhone 6 Plus phones are paid off so I wanted to cancel the new line. I was told to go into the store to do that. They told me because the line was associated with the iPhone 8, I cannot take off that line. That makes no sense to me if it could be officially moved to my husband’s line and we continue to pay on it, why not? They say they cannot do that and I have to continue to have this extra line I am not using for the next year and a half or u til the phone is paid off. ??? 

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

6 years ago

You can cancel the line by calling ATT

HOWEVER, the entire balance on the Next installment will be due in full when the line is canceled.  

The loan for the iPhone 8 is on your sons line, and there it remains.  

I recommend you read your bill, and pay off the phone online by credit or debit card.  Then cancel the line.  

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

As noted above, of course you can cancel that line but as noted, you will be billed for the balance owed on the phone. That iPhone 8 wouldn’t happen to be a free phone, would it? If so, perhaps that is why you were told you could not cancel that line. If you do cancel, you will lose any remaining free phone credits. Just curious, doesn’t your son want to keep his number? If he were to port it to another carrier, that also would cancel the line.

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

Why don’t you move your husbands phone number to the iPhone 8 that has a contract.  When you move your husband’s phone number moved to the iPhone 8 I believe the iPhone 6 service will automatically be cancelled or you can call to make sure the iPhone 6 service is terminated.  My moving his phone number to the iPhone 8 you should be able to get rid of the third line with service left on your iPhone 6 and your husbands IPhone 8.  
This seems obvious but you can see how it is different because you can’t cancel the new iPhone 8 service but you can move the phone 6 phone number to the iPhone 8 and cancel the old iPhone 6.

Different way of thinking, I was a computer programmer analyst for hospital clinical systems and their interfaces.  Six of eight of out team were left handed, but I was also born feet first.  You might say that I was born upside down and backwards.  

Best wishes!  Buggs

ACE - Expert

• 

27.7K Messages

3 years ago

Post >2yo.  Closed.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.