The new iPhone 15
raggs's profile

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

Saturday, October 13th, 2012 1:34 PM

New Updates for Major Apps won't work or sync to Iphone 3G - require IOS 4.3 or greater.

When informed of new updates for major apps - Facebook, Kindle reader, MyAT&T, mSecure - I updated my iPhone (and iTunes) without thinking and did not realize they will not work or sync with my Iphone 3G (iOS<4.3).  Is there any way to "un-update" and download an earlier version.  I could not find earlier versions searching ITunes app store nor on the app companies web sites.  Restoring the phone from backup does not restore the older versions either.  I, also, tried deleting the apps and re-downloading-however, the lastest version would download to iTunes but not sync/transfer to my phone. 

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

11 years ago

@raggs wrote:

I believe the old app ipa files have been deleted from my iPhone 3G and for confirmed they were deleted from the PC (Win7) I-Tunes moble app directory.  Per your suggestion, I found copies of the App.IPAs in the "Trash".  However, when I restored the ipa file(s) to the ...\mymusic\iTunes\mobile applications\ directory where all the other *app.ipa were located, neither iTunes nor my phone would list them or recogonize there present.  I will try re-downloading the new updates to my PC, then replacing the ipa file with an older version.  Thanks to all for your help!

What you need to do is make a "safe copy" iof the IPA files.  Next, open iTunes, and drag/drop the copy of the IPA files to the top left corner of the iTunes window (where it lists Apps, downloads, iTunes U, etc.).  If you drop them there, iTunes should ask you if you want to replace teh newer copy with the older one, and it will then see them as being installed in iTunes.  This is the technique used for loading app beta tests for apps updates which aren't in the iTunes store yet.  I know this works for restoring older copies of apps as I have done it myself.  🙂

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@raggs wrote:

When informed of new updates for major apps - Facebook, Kindle reader, MyAT&T, mSecure - I updated my iPhone (and iTunes) without thinking and did not realize they will not work or sync with my Iphone 3G (iOS<4.3).  Is there any way to "un-update" and download an earlier version.  I could not find earlier versions searching ITunes app store nor on the app companies web sites.  Restoring the phone from backup does not restore the older versions either.  I, also, tried deleting the apps and re-downloading-however, the lastest version would download to iTunes but not sync/transfer to my phone. 

do not think there is, you might contact Amazon support on the Kindle app and the support locations for the other apps.

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

11 years ago

Regretfully this situation has been known for quite some time.  I first ran into it with my 1st generation iPod Touch.  Your best option is to go to your PC backups and restore the IPA files for teh apps to your computer's hard drive.  SImilarly, if you still have the old app version on your iPhone, you can delete the updated app from your PC, then "transfer purchases" from your iPhone back to your PC.  You might check your Recycle Bin (under WIndows) to see if the old IPA files are in there in which case, you cna copy those back to your PC.  In my Mac, as each app is updated, the older version is moved to the "trash".  I make a backup copy of each of those in case a new app version has changes which are incompatible for me.  More than once, I have gone back to these older version files to get around removal of app features, or new bugs even though the new app would install on my iPhone, I put the older version back.

THis is one of many great reasons to keep current backups of your computer.  It is very easy to restore tose older app files back to your iTunes librayr, and then remember to not update them in iTunes again.

Scholar

• 

128 Messages

11 years ago

The only way is to jailbreak it. Google facebook for iphone 3g and you will be on the right track. Good thing about iphones is if the jailbreak goes bad you can restore it in itunes. Providing you don't brick it by jailbreaking it. Bricking doesn't happen very often though. I jailbroke all my old 3g's and ipods with no issue. 

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

11 years ago

@Glock1 wrote:

The only way is to jailbreak it. Google facebook for iphone 3g and you will be on the right track. Good thing about iphones is if the jailbreak goes bad you can restore it in itunes. Providing you don't brick it by jailbreaking it. Bricking doesn't happen very often though. I jailbroke all my old 3g's and ipods with no issue. 

A jail break is not needed if they follow the instructions I posted.  I have not jail broken my iOS devices, and I have restored older app versions easily using the steps I posted.
Perhaps you prefer to jailbreak, but it is not always required to get what people want.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

11 years ago

I believe the old app ipa files have been deleted from my iPhone 3G and for confirmed they were deleted from the PC (Win7) I-Tunes moble app directory.  Per your suggestion, I found copies of the App.IPAs in the "Trash".  However, when I restored the ipa file(s) to the ...\mymusic\iTunes\mobile applications\ directory where all the other *app.ipa were located, neither iTunes nor my phone would list them or recogonize there present.  I will try re-downloading the new updates to my PC, then replacing the ipa file with an older version.  Thanks to all for your help!

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

11 years ago

I was able to re-install the older ipa file (4110.0 for FaceBook and 3.1.1 for the Kindle copies located in Trash). My variation in procedure was deleting new copy from PC and iPhone, re-installing new copy, deleting the new *app.IPA file from the ...\modble applications directory with the older *app.IPS.  Then clicking on the new app icon get info tab and use locate to indicate the older *app.IPA file before resyncing.  GeekBoy's last reply is probably a faster method.  Thanks.

Scholar

• 

128 Messages

11 years ago

@GeekBoy wrote:

@Glock1 wrote:

A jail break is not needed if they follow the instructions I posted.  I have not jail broken my iOS devices, and I have restored older app versions easily using the steps I posted.
Perhaps you prefer to jailbreak, but it is not always required to get what people want.

Thank you. I confess I had not read all of your post until now. I will keep that in mind going forward. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.