For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The new iPhone 15
4terie's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Thursday, April 6th, 2017 5:12 AM

New Ipad and 2010 AT&T unlimited data plan for Ipad 1

I still have the $30/month unlimited data plan for my ipad (original ipad). Software is no longer supported for Ipad 1 and safari is always crashing. SO, my question is:  if I transfer the original data plan to my new ipad, will it work well or is the original data plan only for 3g/slower network.

Real question: I'd like to save money by cancelling my household internet service provider and ONLY obtain internet service from my unlimited AT&T plan via a new ipad.   Can this old AT&T plan via a new ipad provide internet service comparable to an internet service provider such as time warner cable?

I am not a gamer, but I do watch streaming videos a lot via roku channels.

Thank you.

teri E

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

7 years ago

@4terie wrote:

I still have the $30/month unlimited data plan for my ipad (original ipad). Software is no longer supported for Ipad 1 and safari is always crashing. SO, my question is:  if I transfer the original data plan to my new ipad, will it work well or is the original data plan only for 3g/slower network.

Maybe is the best I can say.   You will need a new sim provisioned for LTE, but others have been able to keep the plan on newer devices.

Real question: I'd like to save money by cancelling my household internet service provider and ONLY obtain internet service from my unlimited AT&T plan via a new ipad.   Can this old AT&T plan via a new ipad provide internet service comparable to an internet service provider such as time warner cable?

It's not home internet.  It's cellular.   Apples and oranges.   The plan reprioritises at 22 gigs, so you may hit the wall speed wise, on occasion once you hit 22 gigs.   If you have a smartphone, you can expect comparable speed on a new iPad.

I am not a gamer, but I do watch streaming videos a lot via roku channels.

Thank you.

teri E

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

Thank you. Your response led me to learn I have a data usage tracker on the TWC - Spectrum website. Checking it, I see I've already used 98 GB in April alone through the TWC Arris router. I guess that means I'll reach 22 gb pretty quickly each month and service via a cellular plan will probably be unsatisfactory for me once it starts reprioritizing.   (Does that sound like I understood your response?)  🙂

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

7 years ago

@4terie

Yes, you understood very well, bonus points for reasearch on your own.  😉    

You could experiment and turn wifi off on the tablet for a month and see if or when it slows down.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.