For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The new iPhone 15
Dxk101's profile

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

Saturday, July 22nd, 2017 2:36 PM

Nat type D on personal hotspot

I have a mobile personal hotspot on my iphone 6 and whenever i connect it to my Nintendo Switch and try to connect to an online game it gives me an error saying the nat type (D) isnt tranversal with other nat types. If anyone knows  how to fix this PLEASE help. Thanks 🙂

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Employee

• 

3.5K Messages

6 years ago

And that is where picking what "fits your needs" into play. Other carriers may implement different features and expectation of parity is unrealistic.

If another carrier offers a specific feature that fits your needs, that may be the solution to the problem. At the present moment it's not available with AT&T and it may not change in the future.

Employee

• 

3.5K Messages

7 years ago

There isn't a fix because NAT is carrier grade on cellular. You're stuck with whatever NAT type you have now.

Cellular data is not ideal for online gaming. You'll need a wired broadband connection.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

No, this is if I’m on the go. I want to use my personal hotspot to play

Employee

• 

3.5K Messages

7 years ago

Yeah unfortunately the NAT will remain as it is.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

7 years ago

@Dxk101 wrote:
No, this is if I’m on the go. I want to use my personal hotspot to play

Like David said.   Your hotspot is a cellular device.  

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

You don't have to have a wired connection to enjoy gaming. The employee is wrong.

It's 2017 I find it ridiculous that att advertising you can game on the unlimited plus plan yet when you try to it doesn't work.

You can find my Reddit post

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/6oqii0/att_needs_to_allow_the_switch_to_function_on/?st=J5FQYXC9&sh=09d81dc6

And it's gaining a lot of traction on this very issue.

Open your ports your competitors are doing it.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

Agreed

Employee

• 

3.5K Messages

7 years ago

Not going to happen and the solution is ultimately going to be "vote with your wallet"

Which means if a policy isn't acceptable everyone has the choice of who provides their wireless service. If you're expecting parity among a competitor I would consider altering expectations. A wireless cellular network is a closed, private entity and the carrier can decide how they want to implement assignment of IP addresses, NAT, backhaul routing, etc, etc.

I understand the frustration but realistically there isn't going to be parity with Verizon and AT&T is also a company that provides wired home internet service. It's a business at the end of the day and unlike landline telephones service it's not a utility. The only way to truly enact any kind of change would be to express displeasure by choosing a competitor that fits your needs. If it were something that caused a huge exodus of users then maybe it would get noticed.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

7 years ago

That would be great and all but unfortunately AT&T is the only phone company that works in my area except for their home internet. So if I want internet at homer I have to use a hotspot or I don't get internet. That is why this is very disappointing to me. If I could go with a competitor I would but, for me and my area, there isn't any.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

That's great that voting is with your wallet and all but the issue the claim that att allows "better gaming" on their unlimited plus plan and the use of tethering up to 10gb a month per device. If you can't game on a data plan you sell and advertise you can game then that's false advertisement.

Mobile Gaming is not the same as regular gaming. And real software developers have gone to great lengths with US law to make sure the two are never associated with each other.

In 2016 it was reported that mobile gaming alone made more money then traditional gaming. When the market even splits the two apart in sales structure there is a clear difference on two.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.