For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The new iPhone 15
gonesoon's profile

Mentor

• 

11 Messages

Sunday, February 4th, 2018 9:53 PM

Looks like I am another victim of the AT&T BOGO SCAM Fraud

Be wary of this scam!  I have not only been a loyal AT&T customer for many years, and a directv customer as  well... but now they have gotten me.  I added a line for a family member, and bought a nice new Iphone 7 for them, and upgraded a current phone on my account to an iphone 7plus... the iphone 7 was supposed to be free, and I was supposed to start receiving credits after 3 months... after 3 months they continued to charge me... when I called them they tell me I was not eligible so I will have to pay for the phone... this is a $700 dollar scam!  I tried over and over to call ATT to get someone that would have some sense about them and the offer, and I continued to get only rude responses.  It has been an expensive lesson to me.  Funny thing is that I know 3 other people personally that have been bitten by the same ATT BOGO scam.  It appears from the online responses that this is an ongoing issue for ATT and that they seem to be burning alot of people with this BOGO SCAM.  AS a result I have cancelled my directv service, and as soon as I pay off this ridiculous phone that was supposed to be free... I will be leaving ATT as well.  Again... be wary... they got me too.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

6 years ago

You might have pursued your eligibility for the BOGO further before canceling DTV.  

If you met all the criteria of the promotion, you would have gotten credits.  Did they say what you did not do to be eligible?  Was the added line already with ATT service?  Did you pay late?  If TV service was required, a minimum package was also required.  

Mentor

• 

11 Messages

6 years ago

Nice try... I did everything right... added a new line of service... as a matter of fact I signed up over the phone and it was an ATT customer service rep that signed me up and made these promises of a free phone... had nothing to do with my dtv service... I’ve only cancelled that on my route to disconnect from ATT.

Whoever you are that has responded to this... it must be standard training that the customer is wrong.. you stated I likely did not qualify or did something wrong, but I am willing to bet you didn’t even look at my situation before making these statements....

ATT ... please pull the recordings and records of my initial signup and follow up calls ... listen to them... all of them... numerous calls and hours on hold trying to straighten this out... then you can make statements like the one above...

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

@gonesoon This is a customer to customer forum, not customer support. That response was from another customer who has no access to your account. No one accused you of doing anything wrong, it’s just that experience shows when someone does not get the BOGO credits, it is almost always because they did not qualify. The BOGO promotions change often. One week only a new line is required, the next week a new line and DTV service is required. The eligible phones change too so without knowing the exact details of when you bought your phones, no way to know if you met the requirements. If you did, there are ways to get the credits you are due and the other responder was only trying to help but seems you don’t want any help.

Mentor

• 

11 Messages

6 years ago

I have spent hours and hours on the phone with ATT trying to get the credits that they promised... I would really appreciate any help I can get here... it’s just not realistic to believe that another consumer could come close to solving this... I apologize to all of you ATT lovers if I have offended any of you... but I’ve been burned by this BIGO scam... and I’m not the only one... look it up... it’s obvious.... I’ve already given up on ATT... just suggesting all of you people considering att... watch yourself... not everyone gets taken, but I did... and I know others who have...

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

6 years ago

@gonesoon

We are well aware there is a problem.  In most cases of no credit, the customer didn’t qualify and no one at ATT has the stones to tell them that after the fact.  Some were told they could take advantage of the BOGO when the sales person knew it would fail, or just didn’t bother to know the requirements themselves and steer a customer wrong.

I ask about your adding of a line as that is the most common requirement not met.   We can’t assure you we can help get the credits, but will try.  At the very least you deserve an explanation why credits did not come.

(Copy and paste to save time) 

When did you buy the phones?

which 2 phones?

You had satellite at the time?  Yes.   

You added a line that was not with ATT, an MVNO of ATT or ATT prepaid?

The free phone was purchased on the new line with installments?

The Account remained in good standing, no late payments?

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

6 years ago

I got scammed by ATT as well, been a customer over 20 years. This IPhone 8plus scam really ended it for me. I am ending my relationship with these crooks immediately...whatever the cost. 

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

6 years ago

@Lmfield

It is not a scam, if you did not meet the requirements for credits, you still paid retail price for the phone like the rest of us.  These promotions are to add business, there is always a catch.  

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

6 years ago

👋🏿good by scam artists 👋🏾👋🏾👋🏾👋🏾👋🏾

Mentor

• 

15 Messages

6 years ago

I've been going back and forth with AT&T and the store where I bought the phones in Dec. 2016 for a full year.  First they said I didn't qualify because I didn't buy a new phone.  I did, and had them speak to the store manger. They keep saying they're opening a claim and will get back to me in a few weeks.  Then no one gets back to me, so I call and sit on hold for a half hour to have some human answering machine tell me my claim was rejected because of whatever reason they can think of this time.  I've had the store manager call on three occasions, I've had AT&T intensive care people come right out and tell me I'm lying, and that they have no record of my previous calls - only to have them refer to details from my previous calls later in the same conversation.  "Yeah, I found those records now, I have everything in front of me."  Once I was told to FAX my receipt, along with the store manager's credentials and signature.  I did that, and three weeks later they said I had to text a photo of my receipt or it wouldn't be "in their system."  Then they told me that I had an interruption to my service during the term which disqualified me.  When I asked when that was, they said that it was almost year after I bought the phones, and the interruption was for one hour.  They think that they can draw people into these contracts and never make good on a percentage of their promotions - because what are you going to do, switch to Comcast and Verizon?  And they'll still demand that you pay for the phone they told you would be free.  How else would you define scam?

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

6 years ago

@BogoVictim37 wrote:

I've been going back and forth with AT&T and the store where I bought the phones in Dec. 2016 for a full year.  First they said I didn't qualify because I didn't buy a new phone.  I did, and had them speak to the store manger. They keep saying they're opening a claim and will get back to me in a few weeks.  Then no one gets back to me, so I call and sit on hold for a half hour to have some human answering machine tell me my claim was rejected because of whatever reason they can think of this time.  I've had the store manager call on three occasions, I've had AT&T intensive care people come right out and tell me I'm lying, and that they have no record of my previous calls - only to have them refer to details from my previous calls later in the same conversation.  "Yeah, I found those records now, I have everything in front of me."  Once I was told to FAX my receipt, along with the store manager's credentials and signature.  I did that, and three weeks later they said I had to text a photo of my receipt or it wouldn't be "in their system."  Then they told me that I had an interruption to my service during the term which disqualified me.  When I asked when that was, they said that it was almost year after I bought the phones, and the interruption was for one hour.  They think that they can draw people into these contracts and never make good on a percentage of their promotions - because what are you going to do, switch to Comcast and Verizon?  And they'll still demand that you pay for the phone they told you would be free.  How else would you define scam?

There was a regular ‘add a line for credits on the second phone’ BOGO near Xmas. Otherwise all free phone offers from September 2016 to February 2017 were “Port from a competing carrier and have Direct TV for a free phone”. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.