The new iPhone 15
jonshanser's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Tuesday, February 7th, 2017 3:46 PM

Issue with WiFi calling on iPhone 7

To whom it may concern.
I live in an area where my ATT signal is very weak(East Vail, CO 81657). The folks at the local ATT store told me to enable WiFi calling rather than purchase an ATT Microcell. I have enabled WiFi Calling and set up the feature but WiFi does not always show as on and I am still dropping calls. Please advise.
Thank you for any help you can provide.
Jon [edited for privacy-please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, employee ID numbers, email addresses, phone numbers, account numbers, etc.]

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

7 years ago

In cases where service is poor, not non-existent, the phone may continue to connect to cellular.  It may be necessary to turn off cellular to force the phone to use wifi calling.

The newer microcells are not configured well for the iPhone 7 and reports are they aren't working well.  So the advise was sound.  

Trasitioning between microcell and cellular always result in dropped calls.  Transition between wifi calling and cellular usually do not, but your hvpave to have both on to do so.  

The last possibilty, is there is a fault in the phone.  If turning off cellular doesn't fix the problem, first trouble shoot your home wifi, then contact Apple to trouble shoot the phone. 

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

By the way, when you say turn off cellular, exactly how does one do that?
Is it sufficient to just turn off "cellular data" on the iphone7? Thanks,
Jon

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

7 years ago

On an iPhone you would probably have to turn on airplane mode, then wifi on again.  

If you have zero cell coverage, and your wifi is strong, I would be concerned the phone has a defective wifi radio.    If they are fairly equal, the phone may just not know which to pick.  It seems iPhones prefer cellular to wifi.

Guru

• 

691 Messages

7 years ago

@jonshanser To @lizdance40's point above - if you turn Airplane mode on your phone and then turn just 'wifi' on (as long as your have wifi calling activated on your phone/plan) it will just use the wifi connection not attempt to connect to cellular.

I struggled with wifi calling before I tried this trick above - and I live in Colorado also where cell reception amongst all carriers sucks... and Apple phones tend to by default constantly try to utilize a cellular connection vs. wifi calling... so this workaround has worked great at my home calling area. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

I have no service at my house at the moment (1 dot) due to "cell tower issues".    Solution for me was two settings and it is totally flawless my sister said "wow dude I and actually hear you now" I used to have to shout to be heard! OMG! I was 1 inch from moving to the dark V! 

iphone 7 

1. Settings > Cellular > Wi-Fi Assist ----- turn this ON

2. Settings > Phone > Wi-Fi Calling ------ turn ths ON

Please send applause as you see fit!   Note: A very excellent chat support person gave me this fix.  

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

One thing that has helped me with this problem is changing the setting for Cellular Data Options. On both the iPhone 7 Plus and iPhone 7. When the handoff between cell-signal and WiFi doesn't happen appropriately, the iPhone seems to try to use LTE for your voice if you don't change this setting. In an already signal-compromised environment, this will result in "choppy" voice quality at best and dropped calls at worst.

Settings->Cellular->Cellular Data Options->Enable LTE (switch this to Data Only)

There's never a single fix for everyone's problems but I hope this helps someone.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

I have iPhone 7, use AT&T.
I have days when Wi-Fi calling just doesn't work.
Here is what i have
- air plane mode: ON
- wi-fi: ON and working, can connect to websites, stream music etc.
- wi-fi calling: ON
- wi-fi assist: ON

and still no wi-fi calling ;(
tried restarting the phone, turning on/off all of the above features one at a time and all at once, nothing helps. This happens probably 2-3 times per months, wi-fi calling just stops working.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

I've been trying to connect WIFI calling for a long time while at work "where I get terrible cell coverage" and failing miserably.  After several hours with AT&T support and reading forums about this subject, I read one post that said: "not all networks support calling over WIFI." When I got home I played with it and it was working like a champ. I have a good cellular signal at home and it never occurred to me to try it on a different network.  I work at a university and contacted the system administrator. He said they found the port that supports WIFI calling blocked and they removed the block. I'm calling and receiving calls over WIFI now at work.  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.