The new iPhone 15
davidsf's profile

Scholar

• 

119 Messages

Thursday, January 6th, 2011 10:59 PM

Is iphone4 a 4G phone?

I'm up for renewal Feb. 1st and was planning on getting the iphone4 but now this Motorola Atrix Android was announced and they made a big deal that it was a 4G phone. I understand AT&T is upgrading their network in selected markets to support 4G speeds. Question: will the iphone4 be able to take full advantage of the network upgrades and run at 4G speeds like the Atrix? TIA.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Master

• 

10.4K Messages

13 years ago

No, the iPhone 4 is not a 4G phone.

Professor

• 

3.1K Messages

13 years ago

The iPhone 4 can't do much better than HSDPA speeds, even on wifi, and I expect most other phones won't get much bank out of that buck either. But it makes for good marketing.

AT&T is supposedly actually deploying 3g HSPA+ in more places, so eventually we might get to actual 3G speeds 🙂 (that's up to 21Mbps) (Oh, i see that they now call that 4G. LOL - ok, nice one! - iPhone 4 doesn't do HSPA+ either, so no difference there)

I guess you could use your 2GB faster that way, get rid of all that wondering about when you'll exceed the cap and all that... now, you can do it in 17 minutes 😉

Master

• 

7.1K Messages

13 years ago

The iPhone 4 supports hspa+

Professor

• 

3.1K Messages

13 years ago

@youngjm wrote:

Without the + - HSPA 7.2, just like the 3GS, nothing new... and not the HSPA+ (now relabled 4G) 20+Mb speeds. Of course, if AT&T could actually deliver just HSPA 7.2 speeds that would be a great start.

From the Specs: "UMTS/HSDPA/HSUPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz)" no plus there 🙂

see http://www.apple.com/iphone/compare-iphones/

Mentor

• 

41 Messages

13 years ago

@johninsj wrote:

- iPhone 4 doesn't do HSPA+ either, so no difference there)

THEN.......

CL - Guru
My Device: iPhone 4 (32GB Black)

Re: Is iphone4 a 4G phone?

01-06-2011 05:57:23 PM

Professor

• 

3.1K Messages

13 years ago

youngjm is wrong. It supports HSPA 7.2, just the same as the 3GS did.

Not HSPA+, which AT&T now calls 4G

Just check the apple specs on the main iPhone page. It says it right there.

Master

• 

7.1K Messages

13 years ago

correct,  Not often that  I miss one....

Professor

• 

1.7K Messages

13 years ago

The highest the iPhone 4 can go is 7.2MBPS HSDPA. It was not built for HSPA+ or 4G as of yet.

However if you have a hefty wallet, you can add an HSPA+ / 4G MiFi router if AT&T will be vending one in the near future. I haven't actually seen any Engadget postings on a 4G or HSPA+ MiFi router when AT&T had announced during the CES 2011 expo, but it may come.

There are minor croppings of i5 and iPad 2 that has been whispered but like most people, they're remaining silent per Apple's request. There was even a teaser trailer removed by Apple from YouTube earlier.

Professor

• 

3.1K Messages

13 years ago

@youngjm wrote:

correct,  Not often that  I miss one....

I noticed. I feel honored to correct you 🙂

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.