For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The new iPhone 15
Schmitty918's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Sunday, January 18th, 2015 9:48 PM

Iphone storage space problems.

My iphone is utter bullcrap. For starters my "8GB" iphone only accounts for 6 GB in the storage settings. Now I guess that's maybe because the other 2 GB is iphone software? But then, as for the other 6 GB I have about a GB free and I have maybe 1GB to 1.5 GB of apps, photos, music, messages, or videos. Where the heck is the unaccounted for 3.5GB to 4GB? I can't download the new iOS because of this. It's frustrating, but more than anything it's the principle of the matter. I'm starting to remember why I didn't like apple in the past.

ACE - Professor

• 

1.8K Messages

9 years ago

@Schmitty918 wrote:
My iphone is utter bullcrap. For starters my "8GB" iphone only accounts for 6 GB in the storage settings. Now I guess that's maybe because the other 2 GB is iphone software? But then, as for the other 6 GB I have about a GB free and I have maybe 1GB to 1.5 GB of apps, photos, music, messages, or videos. Where the heck is the unaccounted for 3.5GB to 4GB? I can't download the new iOS because of this. It's frustrating, but more than anything it's the principle of the matter. I'm starting to remember why I didn't like apple in the past.

I assume you have iPhone 5C or 4S? You go into Settings- General - About, and can see what's going on with storage. Also, Settings - Usage.Smiley Surprised

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

9 years ago

How to remove "other" from your iPhone.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/1568742

If we are able to help, please mark the solution so your question is marked SOLVED, it may help other users. Thank you! 📱

Community Support

• 

15.2K Messages

9 years ago

Hi @Anonymous

Just to add to the steps provided by the helpful folks above, you can also update your device software by using iTunes. If you have iTunes installed on your computer, you can update the software without needing to make more space on the phone. This is because instead of having to download the update file to the phone, therefore taking up space, it downloads to your computer and simply installs to the phone.

With iTunes, you can also manage the files stored on your device, and at the bottom of the device summary page, you’ll see a handy bar that shows what’s using your storage space!

I hope this helps!

Charise

ACE - Master

• 

10.4K Messages

9 years ago

Just like hard drives, your iPhone doesn't actually have the stated capacity. Everyone advertises 1 GB as 1000 MB, but it's really 1024 MB. Something advertised as 8 GB (8000 GB) actually only holds 7.8 GB of data.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

Try some iPhone data cleaner app to delete unwanted or useless files from your iPhone to free up iPhone storage space.

Scholar

• 

338 Messages

8 years ago

Actually, 8GB is 8192MB.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

8 years ago

Totals gigs as opposed to usable gigs is another story.

When iOS took up about 2.5 gigs of internal storage, an 8 gig phone was still roomy.   I think iOS 10 is taking up about 6 gigs now.  

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

My AT&Tphone doesnt let me do anything because these no space between my images and contacts now I don't have any room for my personal stuff like my music.lys what can I do? Please help I've tried everything! Thank
you

Scholar

• 

338 Messages

8 years ago

See below

Scholar

• 

338 Messages

8 years ago

You need to delete some of the stuff you have on the phone. You can move your photos to cloud storage or onto a computer. Delete some of the apps you no longer or seldom use.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.