The new iPhone 15
rodeogirl07's profile

Teacher

• 

22 Messages

Thursday, January 20th, 2011 4:53 PM

Iphone and Blackberry messaging

I am going to be upgrading to an iPhone, but most of my family have blackberries. I was wondering if there is a Instant messaging application....like  the blackberry messenger that I can be downloaded for an iphone and a blackberry for instant messaging?

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

13 years ago

Yahoo, AIM, Windows Live Messenger, jsut to name a few.

There are dozens.

Some even offer interoperability so that not all users have to be on the same platform/app.

None, to my knowledge, will interface with BBM.

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

13 years ago

The Blackberry Messenger is, regretfully, only available on Blackberries.  You can download IM clients that will allow you to send IM's back and forth between your iPhone and Blackberries.  I used to use one but I couldn't get my wife to use it on her Blackberry, so I ended-up dumping it for standard text messages with her.  On the iPhone I use/used IM+ to allow me to use Yahoo Messenger, Google Talk, AOL IM, etc all from within that app.  I don't remember the app that we used on the Blackberry side, but it supported most if not all of those.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

13 years ago

I believe KIK Messenger will work.

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

13 years ago

texting not suitable?

Guru

• 

785 Messages

13 years ago

It does say that KIK isn't compatible with blackberry now.

I agree, what's wrong with texting, unless you don't have a text plan.

Guru

• 

815 Messages

13 years ago

Blackberry messagener is just the same as texting.... I don't know why they market it.. Its pointless.

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

13 years ago

While it is very similar to text messges, it is not exactly the same.  The first thing is that it is included for free with your existing Blackberry service, where text messages are an extra fee ontop of your account.  For an individual account, you wold have to pay about 20% more to get unlimited text messages added to your account (assuming an average bill of about $100).  The next part is it easily supports group conversations where you can easily have many people in the same conversation.  Additionally, They are threaded, and have a visible confirmation of not only delivery, but also of havig been displayed on the screen of the recipient.  This iPhone supports threaded text messages, as well as concurrent conversations, just as the Blackberry Messenger does, which helps to make that transition seem more comfortale.

Guru

• 

815 Messages

13 years ago

Is it right to say BBM uses data? So technically you need a data plan to use it?

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

13 years ago

@Dellman87 wrote:

Is it right to say BBM uses data? So technically you need a data plan to use it?

I do not know exactly how the BBM transfers it's messages, so it is possible that it doesn't use data, but uses the same data chanels as are used by SMS messages, which don't require data.  Having said that,  the last I checked, the Blackberry is a smartphone, so it requires a data plan to use an every major carrier (in the US).
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.