The new iPhone 15
Basti910's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Wednesday, September 12th, 2012 3:40 PM

Iphone 4 or 4s without data package

Hello,

we have a family contract with 4 lines. On 3 of this 4 lines we are using an iphone and now i wanted to know if it is possible to add another iphone on the 4th line but without a data package? 
Thanks

Expert

• 

13K Messages

12 years ago

you are correct, you can put the simcard in the phone (any smart phone) and use it as you wish, but once AT&T's (or any other carriers) system catches that it is any type of smart phone the system will automatically add the data plan to that line and it will be billed for as long as the smart phone is in use on the network, all carriers at all times know the make and model and imei in use for all lines of service and all phones.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

That's not true, it's just a way to scare you into buying more things from them. I have seen a physical iPhone operate without a data package and without being charged for a data package, I have one that does this and I know plenty of people who have one that does this. I promise you don't need a data package and you won't be charged for one and if they try to charge you for one, put up a fight. People have voices that they rarely use anymore just because a supposed phone company knows "everything" about a certain product. AT&T has tried to screw me over plenty of times, but I put up a fight and point out the things they do that take advantage of people, and they straighten it out. Like I said before, it's a common misconception that iPhones/smartphones have to have a data package to work, or you have to have a data package or you'll get charged for one. If you start getting charged for one, tell them you didn't use any of the data they're charging you for, and they will reimburse you.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

12 years ago

@boecyrus wrote:

That's not true, it's just a way to scare you into buying more things from them. I have seen a physical iPhone operate without a data package and without being charged for a data package, I have one that does this and I know plenty of people who have one that does this. I promise you don't need a data package and you won't be charged for one and if they try to charge you for one, put up a fight. People have voices that they rarely use anymore just because a supposed phone company knows "everything" about a certain product. AT&T has tried to screw me over plenty of times, but I put up a fight and point out the things they do that take advantage of people, and they straighten it out. Like I said before, it's a common misconception that iPhones/smartphones have to have a data package to work, or you have to have a data package or you'll get charged for one. If you start getting charged for one, tell them you didn't use any of the data they're charging you for, and they will reimburse you.

Sorry to disagree with you, unless it was a gophone then that would work. Put a Iphone on the account wiothout data and you will see the message that a data plan is being added. It does not matter if a smartphone requires a data plan to work or not, the contract, terms of service and fair use policy states that a smartphone requires a data plan, if you don't have one, one will be added - and there is nothing you can do about it but cancel the account - they will NOT reimburse you at all for a smarthpne data plan, you cannot add a data block on a smartphone

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

I have iphone4 and have been using it for like a year and half on ATT network,

until very recently I was even able to use data on it and all that with no pernament package. I was on $0.1 minute and $5 for 50MB (which for emails is more then enough)

but now I can no-longer buy the data package and it says I would have to get a plan instead. which I don't want to do becuase it's too expensive for what it is worth to me ..

I don't know if this "option" of buying data packages is some policy they changed .. or if it's whay you people describe as "ATT caught you with smartphone" ..

non the less.. I can still use it for calling and internet only through wifi...

I didn't get any message about monthly data plan being added to my account .. and it doens't even seems to be an option, since the monthly plan it offers doesn't include data and I would have to buy it again .. so it will be at least $30 a month .. which is amount I spent in 3 months

Guru

• 

785 Messages

12 years ago

I don't know how you got away with that. I tried the same thing. I put my kids non smart phone SIM card into my iPhone and shortly after that I got the message saying that I needed to add a data plan and they would add the largest data plan to my account.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

I called AT&T and they wouldn't answer this question when I asked about the prepaid plan. But they transfered me to another service person who did. Yes, if your iphone is past its contract date, you can opt for a $25 per month plan without data. I asked this question three times because this forum seems full of opinions to the contrary. But each time the service person answered (patiently) that I would be able to do this with my iphone. Hope this helps. I think it is always better to ask AT&T then to wade through what others think.

ACE - Expert

• 

13.1K Messages

11 years ago

If it is a Pay As You Go plan, you can have without data. If it is a regular calling plan, it requires data, period.
Don't always believe the people on the phone. There are hundreds of post about what people were told by customer service not being correct.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.