The new iPhone 15
Basti910's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Wednesday, September 12th, 2012 3:40 PM

Iphone 4 or 4s without data package

Hello,

we have a family contract with 4 lines. On 3 of this 4 lines we are using an iphone and now i wanted to know if it is possible to add another iphone on the 4th line but without a data package? 
Thanks

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Professor

• 

1.5K Messages

12 years ago

All iPhones/Smartphones you get will have to have a required data package to be fully functional

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Former Community Manager

• 

5.2K Messages

12 years ago

If you use any smartphone, like the iPhone, on AT&T's network you are required to have a data plan. 

If you do not use the phone on AT&T's network, you will not be required to have a data plan. That means if you use the phone without the SIM card, you can just use it as an iPod. You will not be able to make/receive calls or text messages via the AT&T network however. 

Expert

• 

13K Messages

12 years ago

nope

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

12 years ago

and can i do it, when it would not be fully functional? 

Expert

• 

13K Messages

12 years ago

if you use the iPhone with a active simcard you are required/mandated a data plan, no choice

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

12 years ago

and if i only get it in the contract, but only use it without a sim-card as an ipod?

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

12 years ago

and am i able to buy an iphone for the money of the contract without using it in the contract? so let's say i have the plan with unlimited text and talk and my own phone and i want to buy the iphone for this plan, but no data, because i won't use the iphone as a phone and only as an ipod. That would be possible?

Former Community Manager

• 

5.2K Messages

12 years ago

You can choose not to use the iPhone as an actual phone but you will still be charged for whatever plans you order when you purchase it. 

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

12 years ago

@Basti910 wrote:

and am i able to buy an iphone for the money of the contract without using it in the contract? so let's say i have the plan with unlimited text and talk and my own phone and i want to buy the iphone for this plan, but no data, because i won't use the iphone as a phone and only as an ipod. That would be possible?

then buy a ipod, if you put a sim in the iphone, it will be charged for a data plan

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

I may be too late, but you can use ANY phone without a data package no matter if you have a contract or prepaid. iPhones are no exception. Them telling you you can't is just another way to get more money out of you, it's easy to see. It's a phone, it can operate perfectly fine without a data package. Think about it. It doesn't have a data package when you put your sim card in it; you have to set it up before you can use your data package on your iPhone. Until you set it up, your phone works perfectly fine. Now, to use anything connected to the internet, you DO have to have a data package or whatever you're using the internet for will NOT WORK. You can also be connected to WiFi to use internet features. The common misconception with iPhones and basically any smartphone is that they HAVE to have a data package to operate properly, and that's not true at all. If you put your sim card in an iPhone 4 / 4S, it would be able to send and receive text messages just fine (if you have that feature on your plan), & it would be able to make calls and receive calls just fine. Basically, anything a phone company tells you about data packages & iPhones is just a way to get money out of you, so I'd just try anything you have questions about before you ask your phone company.

Before anyone attacks me, I'm not trying to act like I know everything about iPhones or anything like that, I just know plenty of people who have them & I have one myself. Plenty of people I know have gone through this exact thing, and their phone company has told them the exact thing AT&T has told you. Some of them were even on AT&T. I'm just letting you know. Do what you will with the information I've given you. Thank you for reading everything.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.