The new iPhone 15
anaggiemom2's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Sunday, April 21st, 2019 11:42 PM

International data usage and charges

I’m getting ready for a cruise of the British isles so I’m researching iphone and iPad usage.  Both devices are new and have the latest bells and whistles.  I’ve read much here about ATT WiFi calling and hopefully I understand the use and cautions with calls and texts.  My question centers mainly about data charges. I have a postpaid 6 gb plan with unlimited texts. If I post something on FaceBook that may or may not include pictures, will I need to have an ATT International plan of some sort or will I be able to use Att WiFi calling to connect and send (assuming I can connect on it) and it would count against my data plan?  Sending pictures in a text is included in my plan if I read the forum answers correctly?  Any cautions/advice on the use of the ship’s WiFi?  And if I turn off WiFi Assist, Roaming and Cellular and turn on Airplane Mode am I secure in avoiding charges or is there something else I need to turn off as well?  Thank you. 

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

5 years ago

@anaggiemom2 wrote:
Thank you for replying. However I’m a bit confused still. When will I want
to use cellular data? And is it different from ‘regular’ data. Anytime you are not on WiFi, you are using cellular data for anything that requires the internet. Told you
I’m confused. Is cellular
data used for texting (on my regular ATT Plan) but the 6 gb data plan used
for internet stuff like maps, FB, streaming, etc.? This will confuse you even more. Regular SMS/MMS texting does not use cellular data but iMessages do use cellular data if not on WiFi. And if I should want to
make a call to the US, do I turn on cellular but make sure I’m on ATT WiFi
to do it? If you are on WiFi and you see ATT WiFi on your display, you do not need to turn cellular on. You can call and text without any roaming charges. And back to my real questions, do I need cellular turned on to
use the internet or make calls -on ATTWiFi- and what is the cost, if any,
of using data for internet browsing, etc.? To use WiFi calling, you only need to be connected to WiFi. You do not need to turn cellular on. As stated above, as long as you see ATT WiFi on your display, you can call and text with no roaming charges. If you see something else (like Cellular at Sea), then you are roaming and you will pay roaming rates.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

5 years ago

With iOS devices, just make sure you leave data roaming off and only turn it on when you want to use cellular data. That will ensure you don’t run up International data charges, which are expensive. To use WiFi calling, you must be on WiFi. If you are on WiFi, you won’t be using any cellular data. The safest thing to do when at sea is to put the devices in airplane mode and turn WiFi back on. Sending pictures in a text is not included in your plan when you are roaming. You will pay international rates or will need an international plan when roaming. When you are on WiFi calling, you are not roaming. You might find this blog answers most of your questions: https://forums.att.com/t5/Community-Blog/International-Travel-amp-Wireless-Service-Top-10-Things-to-Know/ba-p/5473479

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

Thank you for replying. However I’m a bit confused still. When will I want
to use cellular data? And is it different from ‘regular’ data. Told you
I’m confused. Is cellular
data used for texting (on my regular ATT Plan) but the 6 gb data plan used
for internet stuff like maps, FB, streaming, etc.? And if I should want to
make a call to the US, do I turn on cellular but make sure I’m on ATT WiFi
to do it? And back to my real questions, do I need cellular turned on to
use the internet or make calls -on ATTWiFi- and what is the cost, if any,
of using data for internet browsing, etc.?

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

Thanks for taking the time to answer.  I think I got it. LOL. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.