For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The new iPhone 15
Basiclady's profile

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

Sunday, July 24th, 2016 3:22 AM

Imei not recognised during unlock request?

Got this iPhone 6s from my aunt who did have it activated before. The unlock request does not recognise my Imei. Help

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

8 years ago

Maybe it isn't locked to ATT.  Contact Apple and ask if it's locked and to what carrier.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

8 years ago

When i go to settings > general the sections labelled network says AT&T. If it was unlocked it would say global wouldn't it?

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

8 years ago

Nope.  

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

8 years ago

Oh. Is there a way to check it online? I have social anxiety and it would make it easier on me if so.

Employee

• 

3.5K Messages

8 years ago

It says AT&T as the carrier because the carrier settings is set to that specific carrier. Unlocked and unbranded iPhones will show that when they're setup properly.

If the IMEI isn't recognized, it's not a branded phone.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

8 years ago

Okay I'm getting a tad confused. I did find a GSM code on the phone. Does that mean it is GSM unlocked but is an AT&T bought phone? If so could I use straight talk with it?

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

8 years ago

If it's an iPhone 6s, it is able to use ANY carrier.  GSM and CDMA.  

If it has now, or did have an ATT sim in it, it will say ATT.  Most likely still has a sim.

You can run the IMEI through swappa, it will tell you which carrier the IMEI is for, if it was ever locked to or sold buy a carrier.

The easiest way to know for sure is stick another sim in and power cycle the phone.  

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

8 years ago

hours ago and bought the straighttalk bring your own phone sim kit which came with AT&T compatible sims and it worked. The phone isn't actually locked at all, it's just clinging to whatever network it was connected to last until you get a new one or deactivate that one. As far as mine goes I mean. May not be the same for all iPhone 6s's but I have noticed that the iPhone 6s is the main phone not processing properly for unlock requests.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.