Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forums

Posted Jan 2, 2011
4:38:32 PM
IPhone 4 symbols

IPhone 4 symbols.  I wish they would have manuals for these..lol.  My hubby has a symbol by his battery symbol it is like a circle with a lock in in.  Any ideas as how to take that off?  Also his phone vibrates...but the other sound notifications don't work.  Speakers still work..settings seem ok...I just don't knoe how to get his ringtones to work again.  Mine vibrates & rings...that is the way I want his too.  Thank you !!!

IPhone 4 symbols.  I wish they would have manuals for these..lol.  My hubby has a symbol by his battery symbol it is like a circle with a lock in in.  Any ideas as how to take that off?  Also his phone vibrates...but the other sound notifications don't work.  Speakers still work..settings seem ok...I just don't knoe how to get his ringtones to work again.  Mine vibrates & rings...that is the way I want his too.  Thank you !!!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Jan 3, 2011 4:31:32 AM
(0)
Professor

pmedina1956 wrote:

now I just need to solve the sound issue.  I tried to go to itunes & you can't even hear the tunes play. 

If you plug in headphones, do you hear volume then?

Do you perhaps have a bluetooth headset connected?  When wired or wireless headphones are connected, the majority of the audio is piped to the headphones.

Accepted Solution

IPhone 4 symbols

14 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(14)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Jan 2, 2011 4:52:42 PM
(0)
Master
Edited by Planet-Ed on Jan 2, 2011 at 4:53:13 PM

There is an official manual and it's a good place to start as about all the features are listed there (see page 17 and page 31; Portrait Orientation lock ... Page 194 for the sounds, ringers, vibrate features):

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/iPhone_iOS4_User_Guide.pdf

Here is the finger tips and quick start guide:

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/iPhone_4_Finger_Tips.pdf 

There is also a lot of information on the support page:

http://www.apple.com/support/iphone/

There is an official manual and it's a good place to start as about all the features are listed there (see page 17 and page 31; Portrait Orientation lock ... Page 194 for the sounds, ringers, vibrate features):

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/iPhone_iOS4_User_Guide.pdf

Here is the finger tips and quick start guide:

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/iPhone_4_Finger_Tips.pdf 

There is also a lot of information on the support page:

http://www.apple.com/support/iphone/

Re: IPhone 4 symbols

[ Edited ]
2 of 15 (33,385 Views)
Solution
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Jan 2, 2011 4:53:53 PM
(0)
Guru
That circle with a lock in it prevents the screen from rotating. If you double tap the home button and then swipe the row on the buttom to the right, then tap that same symbol which is all the way on the left.
That circle with a lock in it prevents the screen from rotating. If you double tap the home button and then swipe the row on the buttom to the right, then tap that same symbol which is all the way on the left.

3 of 15 (33,383 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 2, 2011 5:07:05 PM
(0)
Tutor

Thank you both so much!!  Got the ' screen from rotating' solved.  now I just need to solve the sound issue.  I tried to go to itunes & you can't even hear the tunes play. 

Thank you both so much!!  Got the ' screen from rotating' solved.  now I just need to solve the sound issue.  I tried to go to itunes & you can't even hear the tunes play. 

4 of 15 (33,367 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 2, 2011 5:47:49 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

pmedina1956 wrote:

Check the volume switch on your husband's phone to see if it is set to silent/vibrate.  Look on the left side of the phone if you are facing it.  There is a switch; if you see an orange indicator, the phone is set to silent.  Flip the switch to turn the sound back on.

pmedina1956 wrote:

Check the volume switch on your husband's phone to see if it is set to silent/vibrate.  Look on the left side of the phone if you are facing it.  There is a switch; if you see an orange indicator, the phone is set to silent.  Flip the switch to turn the sound back on.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 15 (33,343 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 2, 2011 6:17:39 PM
(0)
Tutor

I have tried everything...the ringtones aren't working...i tunes..you just can't hear any sounds..other than vibrate.

I have tried everything...the ringtones aren't working...i tunes..you just can't hear any sounds..other than vibrate.

sound

6 of 15 (33,331 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 2, 2011 6:24:33 PM
(0)
Tutor

Thank you! I tried that too hon..the switch is on correctly.

Thank you! I tried that too hon..the switch is on correctly.

7 of 15 (33,326 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 2, 2011 7:52:48 PM
(0)
Scholar

pmedina1956 wrote:

I wish they would have manuals for these.

Every iPhone has the manual right in Safari.

Just go to the root of Safari's bookmarks and there is the manual in easy to access categories.

pmedina1956 wrote:

I wish they would have manuals for these.

Every iPhone has the manual right in Safari.

Just go to the root of Safari's bookmarks and there is the manual in easy to access categories.

8 of 15 (33,291 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 2, 2011 8:48:35 PM
(0)
Tutor

Thank you, I had forgotton about safari.  I remember that now.  I looked all thru the manual..couldn't solve volume prob.  Smiley Sad

Thank you, I had forgotton about safari.  I remember that now.  I looked all thru the manual..couldn't solve volume prob.  Smiley Sad

Re: IPhone 4

9 of 15 (33,273 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Jan 3, 2011 4:31:32 AM
(0)
Professor

pmedina1956 wrote:

now I just need to solve the sound issue.  I tried to go to itunes & you can't even hear the tunes play. 

Do you perhaps have a bluetooth headset connected?  When wired or wireless headphones are connected, the majority of the audio is piped to the headphones.

pmedina1956 wrote:

10 of 15 (33,230 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 3, 2011 8:56:34 AM
(0)
Tutor

I don't have the headphones plugged in....but you are right,,when I plug the headphones in I hear the volume.  I can call the phone and hear it ring with the headphones on.  So how do I turn off the headphones?  Thank you so much! 

I don't have the headphones plugged in....but you are right,,when I plug the headphones in I hear the volume.  I can call the phone and hear it ring with the headphones on.  So how do I turn off the headphones?  Thank you so much! 

headphones

11 of 15 (22,014 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 3, 2011 9:20:54 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

pmedina1956 wrote:

I recall hearing that some people had an issue with their phones arriving from China in that mode where they thought the headphones were attached.  For most people, just plugin and unplug the headphones 4-5 times and it resolves itself.  If it doesn't you might want to schedule an appointment at a genius bar to get your phone replaced.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.

pmedina1956 wrote:

I recall hearing that some people had an issue with their phones arriving from China in that mode where they thought the headphones were attached.  For most people, just plugin and unplug the headphones 4-5 times and it resolves itself.  If it doesn't you might want to schedule an appointment at a genius bar to get your phone replaced.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: headphones

12 of 15 (22,006 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 3, 2011 1:08:38 PM
(0)
Tutor

Thank you so much!!  I tried that..no go.  When we bought the phones just prior to christmas all worked fine.  This just happened overnight.  He didled with something as he always is playing on it lol.  When I call him it still vibrates with no other ringtone sound.  Mine does both.  Anyway, when I call him it goes automatically to his voice box after I hang it up (maybe that is normal)

Thank you so much!!  I tried that..no go.  When we bought the phones just prior to christmas all worked fine.  This just happened overnight.  He didled with something as he always is playing on it lol.  When I call him it still vibrates with no other ringtone sound.  Mine does both.  Anyway, when I call him it goes automatically to his voice box after I hang it up (maybe that is normal)

headphones

13 of 15 (21,981 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 3, 2011 6:07:38 PM
(0)
Master

If it were me, I would connect it to iTunes, click on the device on the left and then click Restore and afterwards when it asks if you want to use a backup I would select No.  That will wipe the device and reload the software as if it were new out of the box.

If that doesn't fix the sound issue, that will means its hardware and will need to be replaced by Apple.

If it were me, I would connect it to iTunes, click on the device on the left and then click Restore and afterwards when it asks if you want to use a backup I would select No.  That will wipe the device and reload the software as if it were new out of the box.

If that doesn't fix the sound issue, that will means its hardware and will need to be replaced by Apple.

14 of 15 (21,946 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 3, 2011 8:44:06 PM
(0)
Tutor

Thank you for your idea...it sounds like a great one.  Unfortunately, we took it to the att store..the speakers have gone out on it.  Thank God it is still under warranty.  Again, Thank you all for your help.  We tried!!!!

Thank you for your idea...it sounds like a great one.  Unfortunately, we took it to the att store..the speakers have gone out on it.  Thank God it is still under warranty.  Again, Thank you all for your help.  We tried!!!!

15 of 15 (21,929 Views)