I want to upgrade to the new I-Phone 5 when it is available next month.

Highlighted

I want to upgrade to the new I-Phone 5 when it is available next month.

When I opened a new AT&T account with DSL internet service, I recently added wireless service with a family plan and opted for the new I-Phone 4S (two phones). The new I-Phones were free, just had to pay for shipping of these phones. Can I upgrade to the new I-Phone 5 when it becomes available and what will happen to our existing contract with the I-Phone 4S? Thank You.

Message 1 of 14 (5,720 Views)
Former Employee

Re: I want to upgrade to the new I-Phone 5 when it is available next month.

When did you get those iPhones? You can buy a new phone at any time, but the question is how much you'll pay for it.

Message 2 of 14 (5,699 Views)
Professor

AT&T is giving out the latest model iPhone 4S for free?
Message 3 of 14 (5,690 Views)

I received the two I-Phone 4s's last May or so when I added wireless service. So if I'm only offered a specific discounted rate for the upgrade, I'll sell both of my I-phones on Ebay to offset the cost of the I-Phone 5. I'm just wondering what will be the discounted rate will be...

Message 4 of 14 (5,651 Views)
Former Employee
Solution
Accepted by ATTDelia (Employee)
‎09-30-2015 1:39 AM

If you only had them for 3-4 months than you'll have to pay a full retail price for the new one ($649+ curently). It usually takes 18-20 months to qualify for an upgrade ($199+ curently) or at least 6 months to qualify for an early upgrade ($449+ curently).

Message 5 of 14 (5,642 Views)

CORRECTION! I found an e-mail welcoming me with my I-Phone 4S on January 26 of this year. Why I thought it was May is beyond me... Appreciate your replies greatly!
Message 6 of 14 (5,437 Views)
Master

31chevymike wrote:
CORRECTION! I found an e-mail welcoming me with my I-Phone 4S on January 26 of this year. Why I thought it was May is beyond me... Appreciate your replies greatly!

You are still going to be out of luck!  Go to the My Account in the organge bar above and log-in or create an online account.  From there you can check you upgrade eligibility and it will give you your dates.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 7 of 14 (5,412 Views)
Professor

jan 26 of this year. might end paying full price?

so AT&T gave you two free  Iphone 4S for siging up for wireless service?

Message 8 of 14 (5,385 Views)
Mentor

Standard upgrade are usually given within 18-20 mnths of active service. If you upgrade before you are elgible then the device may be at full retail pricing. Att does run offers at time.
Message 9 of 14 (5,265 Views)

Yes, we just had to pay $200 for each phone for shipping. Overall, $200 for each phone when it retails for $700 is still a very good deal we think!
Message 10 of 14 (5,110 Views)
Former Employee

lol, sorry... You didn't pay for shipping, you paid for phones at standard 2 year contract price. You sure did confuse some people hereSmiley Wink No way to tell for sure right now, because there is many factors that affect price, but with the information I have it sounds like you will be able to buy a new iPhone for about $450 + $36 upgrade fee and renewed 2 year contract. But only authorized AT&T rep can tell you for sure, so give them a call or stop by the store and ask. Good luck.

Message 11 of 14 (5,097 Views)
Professor

drumn_bass wrote:

lol, sorry... You didn't pay for shipping, you paid for phones at standard 2 year contract price. You sure did confuse some people hereSmiley Wink No way to tell for sure right now, because there is many factors that affect price, but with the information I have it sounds like you will be able to buy a new iPhone for about $450 + $36 upgrade fee and renewed 2 year contract. But only authorized AT&T rep can tell you for sure, so give them a call or stop by the store and ask. Good luck.

They'd offer a reduced discount only 8 months into a contract? I'd expect it to be longer than that.

Message 12 of 14 (5,082 Views)
Professor
Solution
Accepted by topic author 31chevymike
‎09-30-2015 1:39 AM

I think the early upgrade eligibility usually comes at 6 months into a contract.
Message 13 of 14 (5,060 Views)
Professor

dwill05 wrote:
I think the early upgrade eligibility usually comes at 6 months into a contract.

Ok. You learn something new every day.

Message 14 of 14 (5,013 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.