The new iPhone 15
bowsplash's profile

Contributor

• 

4 Messages

Friday, August 30th, 2013 9:26 PM

I cannot receive calls from landlines

Since activating my iPhone in July, I've been unable to receive calls from landlines within my area code. This includes my inlaws, several businesses, and my own office. From a residential phone, it says that my phone has been disconnected or no longer in service. From my office, it says that I don't need to dial a "1" first (which I don't). Calls from other area codes (in the same state) appear to go through fine. Of course, I have no idea how many calls I've missed. I have no problems making calls to these or other numbers, and incoming wireless calls seem to work fine. Texts and data also work fine.

I've been to 2 AT&T stores locally, and I have a case number with technical support from Aug 19. When I checked this week, I was told that there's "no update."

I own an iPhone 4, purchased in 2010 from Vodafone Italia (where I was living at the time).

Any ideas?

Grazie!

Teacher

• 

8 Messages

11 years ago

Rule for landline dialout to mobile: dial 10 digits.

Support for 7 digit dialing between 2 numbers in the same area code has been discontinued.

Dialout from office: depends on the pbx system in the office. In my office, I'd have to first dial a 9, then 1, then the 10 digit number. Some office pbx systems don't require dialing the "1".

If people from landlines in your area code still can't reach you even though they are dialing your full 10 digit phone number, then you may want to consider changing to a new phone number. Try to convince at&t store agent to do it for you and waive the one time $36 fee for phone number change. 

You can say that you're requesting the phone number change not on a whim but because your phone number isn't fully functional. They may agree or not agree to waive the fee, but we won't know unless you try it.

This would be the fastest way to get a number that is reachable from landline as well as mobile lines. Just make sure before you leave the at&t store that your phone can be reached from landlines in the same area code.

The way things are supposed to work is this:

Landline users dial digits, landline switch goes to LNP (Local Number Portability) database to look it up.

LNP database entries are stored as 10 digit numbers so that's why 10 digits must be dialed. If 7 digits are dialed the look up will fail.

The LNP database will return a LRN (Local Routing Number) back to the landline switch.

The landline switch's internal digit tables would determine from the LRN digits if this number is:

A.) a number owned by the landline phone company

B.) a ported out number owned by another company

If condition A is satisfied, it will continue to decode the dialed digits and route it to the proper destination.

If condition B is satisfied, it will send the call over to another switch that will eventually route the call over to the proper mobile gateway switch. Then the gateway would locate your cell and page it.

In your case, if people are dialing 10 digits on landlines and the call still fails, then something may be wrong with the way your number is stored in the LNP database, or somewhere in the digit tables of the landline switch(es).

But this may take a long time to sort out, and that's why I suggested that perhaps a number change request would be the fastest way out of this.

I am not an at&t employee, just a regular customer.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@mcfhsueh wrote:

Rule for landline dialout to mobile: dial 10 digits.

Support for 7 digit dialing between 2 numbers in the same area code has been discontinued.

Dialout from office: depends on the pbx system in the office. In my office, I'd have to first dial a 9, then 1, then the 10 digit number. Some office pbx systems don't require dialing the "1".

If people from landlines in your area code still can't reach you even though they are dialing your full 10 digit phone number, then you may want to consider changing to a new phone number. Try to convince at&t store agent to do it for you and waive the one time $36 fee for phone number change. 

You can say that you're requesting the phone number change not on a whim but because your phone number isn't fully functional. They may agree or not agree to waive the fee, but we won't know unless you try it.

This would be the fastest way to get a number that is reachable from landline as well as mobile lines. Just make sure before you leave the at&t store that your phone can be reached from landlines in the same area code.

The way things are supposed to work is this:

Landline users dial digits, landline switch goes to LNP (Local Number Portability) database to look it up.

LNP database entries are stored as 10 digit numbers so that's why 10 digits must be dialed. If 7 digits are dialed the look up will fail.

The LNP database will return a LRN (Local Routing Number) back to the landline switch.

The landline switch's internal digit tables would determine from the LRN digits if this number is:

A.) a number owned by the landline phone company

B.) a ported out number owned by another company

If condition A is satisfied, it will continue to decode the dialed digits and route it to the proper destination.

If condition B is satisfied, it will send the call over to another switch that will eventually route the call over to the proper mobile gateway switch. Then the gateway would locate your cell and page it.

In your case, if people are dialing 10 digits on landlines and the call still fails, then something may be wrong with the way your number is stored in the LNP database, or somewhere in the digit tables of the landline switch(es).

But this may take a long time to sort out, and that's why I suggested that perhaps a number change request would be the fastest way out of this.

I am not an at&t employee, just a regular customer.

support for 7 digit dialing has NOT been discontinued, do it all the time from multiple cell phones, as long as the 3 digit area code is considered a local call, has the same area code on both the source and target numbers a 7 digit number can be entered, this is true on verizon, sprint and ATT from landline to mobile and mobile to landline.

Dial out from a voip systems depends on how the voip systems is set up, 9 is a poor choice as the outside line request, there is a high chance of a mis-dialed 911 request when utilizing 9 as the outside line request, again the 1 is only required if it is a long distance number. mobile to voip, voip to moble do not require a 1 unless the target number is condsidered long distance. 7 digit dialing works fin here also.

If people cannot reach landlines form the area codes, there is a problem in the number configuration or even though it is the same area code it is considers a toll call and the 1 is required. Telling them to change numbers is rediiculous, they will recieve the same exact area code with a different 7 digit identifier - again if the caller could not make the call on the old number they still will not be call teh new number.

Teacher

• 

8 Messages

11 years ago

Let me re-phrase the part about 7 digit dialing:

7 digit dialing support has been discontinued for "my" phone service provider, in "my" area. My home phone number used to be an at&t landline number, ported out to Vonage VoIP.

Vonage informed me years ago that they no longer support 7 digit dialing.

7 digit dialing may work in other areas but not here where I'm at.

When I dial two numbers having the same area code:

Calling number = Virginmobile prepaid mobile

Called number = 7 digits VoIP Vonage number and my office number

On the prepaid phone I'd hear "Area code 16....."

If Calling number = at&t mobile with different area code

Called number = 7 digits of VoIP Vonage number and my office number

The call ought to have failed and there should be an announcement about the call can't be made, or the number isn't a working number, or a fast busy tone of sorts.

Instead, I heard the at&t announcement of "To place a call in this area, you must dial the area code and the phone number...."

So I can only report that 7 digit dialing doesn't work with my particular calling numbers, called numbers, and place of call.

With reference to this segment of your post:

If people cannot reach landlines form the area codes, there is a problem in the number configuration or even though it is the same area code it is considers a toll call and the 1 is required. Telling them to change numbers is rediiculous, they will recieve the same exact area code with a different 7 digit identifier - again if the caller could not make the call on the old number they still will not be call teh new number.

The original poster's problem was that he couldn't receive calls from landlines, and he said that he has no problem calling out to the landlines. He did not say how many digits were dialed by the people trying to reach him.

The reason why I had suggested that he can try to change his number is an attempt for a quick solution, and of course needs to be tested in the at&t store. It's just a suggestion, which user "bowsplash" can choose to ignore.

Concerning getting the same area code when going through at&t's number change service: depends on area.

I have used at&t's number change service before, and at the time I used it, I was presented with a choice of multiple area codes in the surrounding area. Would having a different area code cause a rise in billing? The user should ask the at&t agent doing the number change about this. It didn't make a difference for me because my home plan includes toll and national long distance.

If changing the mobile number or waiting for his trouble ticket to be solved out aren't good solutions, this forum is open to any new ideas. 🙂

Cheers!

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

typical of vonage, suspect it has something to do with the E911 fiasco's they had where they forwarded 911 calls to the wrong state and first responders where unable to help. I make sure I keep a POTS landline connected

this would be true only if all the callers to the OP where utilzing vonage. Standard VOIP systems based on Nortel, Avaya, Cisco, the equipment supplied by ATT for their VOIP, Verizons FIOS base VOIP, all carriers POTS line all still support 7 digit dialing if the requirements are met.

Professor

• 

2.7K Messages

11 years ago

Seven-digit and ten-digit dialing depends on the area where the call is made.  For example, in Washington, DC, a caller can dial the seven-digit number if the number dialed is also in the 202 area code.  Travel a few miles into Maryland and ten-digit dialing is required statewide, even if the number dialed is within the same area code. 

The OP didn't state his/her location, so we don't know what the calling rules are there.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@21stNow wrote:

Seven-digit and ten-digit dialing depends on the area where the call is made.  For example, in Washington, DC, a caller can dial the seven-digit number if the number dialed is also in the 202 area code.  Travel a few miles into Maryland and ten-digit dialing is required statewide, even if the number dialed is within the same area code. 

The OP didn't state his/her location, so we don't know what the calling rules are there.

true but only vonage requires 10 digit dialing for everything, other carriers all adhere to the universal rule of if the same area code and not considered a toll call 7 digit number plan works, if a toll call then 11 digit is required even if in the same area code, if the area code is different and not considered a long distance call then 10 digit works, if considered a long diatance then 11 digit is required.

Professor

• 

2.7K Messages

11 years ago

No, seven-digit dialing doesn't exist at all in Maryland.  I have a 301 area code; if I dial another number within the 301 area code I have to dial all ten digits of the number, even if I'm calling my next door neighbor.

Contributor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

Thank you all for the information.  I live in Southern Oregon (area code 541), and landlines within 541 are 10-digit-dialing without a "1".

My options appear to be:

1.  Wait for my trouble ticket to be resolved.  (How long should I wait?)

2.  Change phone numbers with AT&T (which may/may not help).

3.  Change carriers (I'm not on contract).

Any advice?

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@bowsplash wrote:

Thank you all for the information.  I live in Southern Oregon (area code 541), and landlines within 541 are 10-digit-dialing without a "1".

My options appear to be:

1.  Wait for my trouble ticket to be resolved.  (How long should I wait?)

2.  Change phone numbers with AT&T (which may/may not help).

3.  Change carriers (I'm not on contract).

Any advice?

have you tried getting a new sim for the phone? you can also try getting a cheap gophone and move your sim into that to test to see if it is the number or the device. Be aware that if you have any grandfathered features on the phone you cpuld lose them.

Changing carrierscould end up with the same exact problem if you try to retain your current device because the issue maybe device related. did customer service try reseting your account

One other thing to try, reset your phone as a new device with no restore.

Teacher

• 

9 Messages

11 years ago

Bowsplash,

iPhone4 uses the microSIM, so if you're planning on trying out your sim in another at&t phone you may need an adapter for the microSIM if the other phone doesn't use microSIM.

When you activated the number on this iphone, was it a brand new number, or was the number ported over from another service provider?

You can look at this page (scroll down to "Portability schemes")

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Local_number_portability

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.