Explore & discover

Helpful Links

I bought an iPhone XR from Apple and how do I get service switched to it from my old iPhone?

Contributor

I bought an iPhone XR from Apple and how do I get service switched to it from my old iPhone?

So I bought a new iPhone XR off of Apple’s website (unlocked and sim-free) and I want to switch the data line from my iPhone 6 (that I bought from an AT&T store) to my new phone. What do I do? 

-Thanks-

Message 1 of 8
ACE - Sage
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by TheNewArsenal
‎04-10-2019 4:36 AM

Re: I bought an iPhone XR from Apple and how do I get service switched to it from my old iPhone?

Swap your SIM card into the new phone

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 8
Contributor

Re: I bought an iPhone XR from Apple and how do I get service switched to it from my old iPhone?

I was told my iPhone 6 didn’t have a SIM card, but I thought that doesn’t sound right either. That’s not possible is it?

-Thanks-

Message 3 of 8
Master

If it’s a phone bought from AT&T, it has a SIM card.

Message 4 of 8
ACE - Sage

Of course it has a SIM card. All LTE phones have a SIM card with all carriers.  A very few also have an eSim, like your new phone.

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 8
ACE - Sage

1F25A126-EE73-4535-B5C1-32C07A3C17C0.jpeg

You phone should have a sim tool in the box to pop open the spot in the side of the iPhone 6 and your new phone.  Gently push into the hole and the sim drawer will pop out.

Your quick start guide should have this information too.

Message 6 of 8
Contributor

So when I plug the SIM card into my new phone I’ll be able to text and call on it, or how will that part work?

Message 7 of 8
ACE - Sage

Follow the prompts to activate with iCloud and restore from your last back up.  And yes, your sim has your phone number on it, it will make calls.

Message 8 of 8
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Do you need to fix, replace or track a device? We Can Help With That!

Additional Support