The new iPhone 15
Kambria's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Sunday, January 17th, 2016 6:57 PM

I bought an Iphone 6 locked in lost mode?

i recently purchased an iphone 6. when i tried to activate the phone it says "this iphone is linked to an Apple ID. Enter the Apple ID and password that were used to set up this iphone. " the it says  "message from owner: this iphone has been lost. please call me" and lists a number . I eve bought a new sim card for it but it says the same thing. What do I do ??

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

• 

25.7K Messages

8 years ago

The person you bought the phone from should have done these steps if they truly owned the phone. More than likely the phone is stolen or someone found it and is trying to sell it...

What to do before selling or giving away your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201351

Return the phone for a full refund. It's useless to you as it is now...

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

8 years ago

@Kambria wrote:

i recently purchased an iphone 6. when i tried to activate the phone it says "this iphone is linked to an Apple ID. Enter the Apple ID and password that were used to set up this iphone. " the it says  "message from owner: this iphone has been lost. please call me" and lists a number . I eve bought a new sim card for it but it says the same thing. What do I do ??

The "lost mode" feature was added by Apple a while back. If an iPhone is lost or stolen, the owner can enable this mode and no one else can use that phone without the owner clearing that status. If you purchased a phone from an individual and they were the legit owner they can remove it. If they can't remove it, they likely weren't the legit owner and likely sold you stolen merchandise. Either contact the owner at the number they gave you and get their phone back to them, or keep the stolen phone that you can't do anything with and risk the issue of possession of stolen merchandise. Keep in mind that some iPhone are worth nearly $1000, so that might not be a minor "slap on the wrist" offense. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.