For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The new iPhone 15
SLIKRICK's profile

Professor

• 

2K Messages

Wednesday, April 20th, 2011 7:14 PM

How to make contacts on the computer follow those on iPhone

After a sync I invariably find some duplicates and other irregularities in my contacts on the iPhone. Is there a way I could set it up where the iPhone's contacts is main, and the contacts on the computer (I use Outlook) would follow suit, so when I make changes on the phone, they change in Outlook?

Thanks in advance.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

13 years ago

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

13 years ago

Check your sync settings in iTunes.  There should be an option that determines which address book takes precedence when duplicates exist.

Professor

• 

2K Messages

13 years ago

Thanks for the feedback. I'm not seeing anywhere in the settings that allows this, though. Can you tell me where I'd find it?

Professor

• 

1.2K Messages

13 years ago

Also check spellings, and it could even be trailing spaces after the name.  In the past, I have completely deleted akk of the contacts from one or the other and resynced, just to be sure the names would match exactly.

Professor

• 

2K Messages

13 years ago

If anyone could help me it here, I'd really appreciate it. Apparently there's an issue with the fact I have two different iPhones that sync on my computer. Some of my friend's contacts are showing up on my iPhone after syncing. 

So I guess my question is two pronged:

1) How do I set it up so the two profiles are separate, and don't affect each other's syncing, and,

2) how do I set it up so the computer's contact list doesn't change the iPhone's contacts, and instead the iPhone is primary and makes changes to the computer's contact list (on Outlook) after sync?

In other words, I'd like whatever changes I make on the iPhone to then backup to the computer, not vice-versa.

Thanks again for any help on this.

Guru

• 

785 Messages

13 years ago

The only way I know how to do it on a PC is to set up 2 different logins on the computer. I had the sane problem with mine and my wife's iPhones. That solved the problem.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

13 years ago

Maybe you could sync your contacts with something besides outlook.  I see Windows Contacts, Google, Yahoo, and Outlook as options.  If you sync with a different program maybe your contacts won't get mixed up.

Professor

• 

2K Messages

13 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion. I didn't know Google was an option. How would I set that up?

Professor

• 

2K Messages

13 years ago

Awesome'! Thanks again. I went ahead and set it up.

Now, do I disable syncing of the contacts in iTunes from now on?

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

13 years ago

Yeah, you'd want to disable contact syncing through iTunes otherwise you'll end up with duplicat contacts on the device.

What I do is occassionally export my contacts from Outlook to Gmail to keep them as consistent as possible.  Unfortunately there is no syncing between Outlook and Gmail.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.