How long does it take for Iphone 5 unlock to take effect?

Highlighted
Contributor

How long does it take for Iphone 5 unlock to take effect?

The unlock request was submitted on 4/15/14 and was approved on 4/16/14. I did the restore and all the stuff they say to do. I then put my tmobile sim and it says sim invalid.

I called Apple and they said they have not received the unlock request from AT&T.

I am not an AT&T customer so I had the seller submit the request for me. So I have been having trouble talking to AT&T as some of the reps refuse to talk to non-customers. I finally got one on the phone that said the locked was approved but it may take up to 7 days for it to be processed.

Is that true? How long does it take?

I am basically phone less now because of this....

Thanks

Message 1 of 7 (10,285 Views)
Employee

Re: How long does it take for Iphone 5 unlock to take effect?

Hey ste718

The unlock happens immediately, as soon as you get the message during the restore process 'phone unlocked'. If you haven't gotten that then try it again

-Alex

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 7 (10,271 Views)
Contributor

Alex,

I did the restore on but did not get the message that said iphone unlocked or something to that effect....

So you are saying after it is approved the phone will be automatically unlocked after the restore?

Message 3 of 7 (10,269 Views)
Employee

[ Edited ]

Yes, that's right,it's unlocked immediately, as long as itunes says so.

Sometimes it takes a couple of days from the time you get the email for the itunes process to work and give you the respective message. Personally, I'd recommend trying it today, and trying it again Monday if it still doesnt work.

-Alex

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 4 of 7 (10,265 Views)
ACE - Expert

You get the approval message when AT&T approves the unlock. Then, they send the unlock approval notice to Apple. Apple needs to update their server so that when you do the restore, the phone unlocks. It can take several days for the message to get from AT&T to Apple and then for Apple to update their server. They usually say allow 72 hours after the approval notice. If it has been longer than 72 hours, you need to contact AT&T to make sure that the approval was sent to Apple and that Apple received the notice.
This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 7 (10,250 Views)
Professor

Did you do a factory restore, following the instructions here http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1414 ? Once you get the approval email you he a to wait 24 hours before restoring it.

Message 6 of 7 (10,291 Views)
Community Support
Solution
Accepted by ATTJulieCS (Community Support)
‎09-30-2015 1:39 AM

Please visit Mobile Device Unlock Support Guide for complete details on processing time. Take a look at both the

I hope this helps!

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

Employee Contributor*
Message 7 of 7 (3,815 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.