Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Are you impacted by the government shutdown? We’re here to help.  Learn more 

How does the free iPhone 8 with the purchase of an iPhone 8 offer work?

Highlighted
Contributor

How does the free iPhone 8 with the purchase of an iPhone 8 offer work?

Hey guys!

If any of you have personal experiences with this offer or know how it works, please let me know!

I recently upgraded to the iphone 8 and I received the free iphone 8.  How does gifting the free iphone work?

Is my name attached to the free iphone if I were to give it to a family member and do I need to be present with them to get it in service? Will this iphone be listed under my account even though it has not been activated in store? And what are the stipulations on the free iphone?

This feels a little too good to be true Lol Let me know what you guys think!

Thanks

Tags (2)
Message 1 of 4
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by traveler_123
‎12-21-2017 4:08 PM

Re: How does the free iPhone 8 with the purchase of an iPhone 8 offer work?

The only way for that iphone to be free is if you added a new line to your account. So, not only did you get a free iPhone, you probably also had a new line added to your plan. So yes, both phone and line are in your name and on your account. You must pay for that new line for the next 24 or 30 months, depending on which installment plan you picked, in order for that phone to be free. You do not need to be present to activate the new iPhone or line. There should be activation instructions with the phone.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 4
Contributor

Thank you!

I am just clarifying. So the iPhone I purchased was an upgrade for my old phone. The free phone I receive that is not activated, I can give to a friend? So when they go to AT&T and put it in their name it will not show up on my account as responsible for the payments? 

Message 3 of 4
ACE - Expert

@traveler_123 wrote:

Thank you!

I am just clarifying. So the iPhone I purchased was an upgrade for my old phone. The free phone I receive that is not activated, I can give to a friend? So when they go to AT&T and put it in their name it will not show up on my account as responsible for the payments? 

I guess my previous post wasn’t clear? You can do whatever you want with the phone but the new line and the installment plan for the free phone will stay on your account. The only way to get the phone free is to pay for that line until the installment plan completes. You will be charged each month for the phone but will also get a credit. If you cancel that new line, you will be billed for the balance owed for the phone.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 4
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support